Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2008, 08:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, at least you came back to say you found the problem. It gives us closure.
Old July 15, 2008, 08:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksir View Post
well, im the biggest moron on earth. my monitor was at VGA mode because i was palying with my xbox360.
lol they asked u about that in first post nice time talking though lol welcome to the forums lol
Old July 15, 2008, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Sorry, but no. PCIe is backwards compatible with original PCI-e. In fact a PCIe 2.0 card and work (electrically) at PCIe 1.0 1x, so long as has a full 16x sized-slot physically.
There might be an exception to that rule. Some PCI-e 2.0 cards might actually not work on some motherboards with PCIe 1.0, especially VIA based chipsets, and will require a Gen1 BIOS flash to the card to make it work. Some PCIe 2.0 cards have shown to work on some 1.0 boards, but non VIA based :)
Old July 15, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Check out this article from Tomshardware on the subject:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ysis,1572.html
They tape off part then most of the pins to effectively reduce an eletrical pcie x16 to a pcie x1.... check it out to see the difference (not much surprisingly, except at x1)
A good alternative to that is to place back your working gfx card, boot and go into BIOS, look for PEG Force x1 and ENABLE it, save and exit, shut down, place your PCIe 2.0 card - and your card will work at x1, temporary measure until you get a compliant board :) If you don't have that option in BIOS, then you'll have to use that other method. Actually the tape method might not work on some motherboard that don't support this...also the example above has been tested.

Last edited by DarKStar; July 15, 2008 at 09:33 PM.