Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2008, 01:42 AM
Top Prospect

Default Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 Died? (More Epic Length)

Okay, first some nonessential background info: This is my build (well, most of it. I got kind of frustrated near the end and didn't update the thread that much), I had some problems with Vista that were resolved, and the big one: my video card problems which have still not been resolved. I am in the process of troubleshooting with eVGA, but none of those are what I'm posting about, I just wanted to give you some more info about my system.

Specs:

CPU: Q6600 (At stock until these problems are fixed) w/ D-TEK Fuzions CPU Water Block + Nozzle Kit
Motherboard: eVGA 780i w/ ViperJohn 780i NB WB + Mosfet Coolers (I have one Antec Spot-Cool blowing on the mosfet heatsinks on high, and the OCZ XTC RAM cooler on the memory).
Memory: 4x Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 1GB (with aforementioned OCZ XTC RAM cooler on them)
VGA: 2x eVGA 8800GT 512MB in SLI w/ 2x EK FC88 WB (Currently I only have one in the loop due to troubleshooting with eVGA)
NIC: Intel PRO/1000 Pt Gigabit NIC PCI-E
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 PCI Sound Card (I received this the day the problem started, and I finally got to install it after I got my system running again so it was not present when the problem started)
Pump: Swiftek MCP655 at full speed
Radiator: HW Labs GTX480 w/ 4x Panaflo 70CFM fans
Case: Silverstone TJ07 (Radiator is mounted on the bottom with industrial-strength velcro. 2x120mm Yate Loon fans are installed blowing air upwards out of the case. No 92mm fans are installed as I have the two 120mm bay converter fans for intake. I may consider changing them back to the stock Silverstone fans in they blow more air. I just had the Yate Loons lying around as I had planned on getting the Pa 120.3, but that was out of stock so I got the 480. with the 70CFM fans installed the Silverstones probably won't be noticable over them.)
HDD: 2x WD Raptor 74GB in RAID0, 3x Seagate 7200.11 500GB in RAID5. Mounted in two Silverstone bay converters w/ 120mm intake fans in the 5.25" bays.
Tubing: 1/2" ID Tygon tubing, w/ various barbs.
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX (Replaced the Silverstone unit as I thought there may be power issues. Anybody wanna buy an almost-new Silverstone 750W PSU? )

On to the juicy bits!

In the process of troubleshooting my video card I have occasionally have trouble booting my system up. The system would receive power, fans, hard drives, and DVD-RW drives would spin up, etc, but I would get no POST and my screen would remain blank. I thought nothing of it since it wouldn't happen that often, but it has been happening more and more often. I never noted the code on my motherboard's LED indicator until recently.

Several weeks ago I was not even been able to boot my computer on several occasions, and it wouldn't work unless I did a bit of fiddling (reseating RAM, resetting the BIOS, etc). I kept getting a C1 error on my motherboard's LED indicator and a long repeating POST beep. I tried reseating several things (although I never really changed anything too much other than trying to reset the BIOS - which didn't seem to cure it), and I was eventually able to get it to boot with only three sticks of my RAM somehow. If I inserted the fourth stick i would get the C1 error. With the three sticks installed it passed 17 passes of MemTest 86+ v2.0. Several weeks after the initial booting problem I was able to install the fourth stick without a hitch and all was merry, well other than the video card problems. I didn't test with MemTest after I installed the fourth stick, but I bet it would have come back fine.

Near Canada day I brought my computer to my friend's house and LANned it up. Being really hot around then I took to turning my computer off when we were not in the room. Several times I wold get the original problem, and it would be an ordeal to get it started again. I would turn the system on and off 8-10 times, leave it sit for periods, etc... I would get it started up though, and it stopped when I got home, so I just figured it was the heat (Canada day was really fracking hot here).

I had a very similar problem a few days ago now. I went to reboot my computer and it would not turn back on even after several attempts - I checked the diagnostic LED indicator on the motherboard and it would always display 01 (or even 02 once), and nothing would happen as usual. Eventually I found that when I had last reset the BIOS I had accidentally put the jumper back in the wrong way (there are three pins |||, and normally it is connected to the last two |||, but it was hanging off the third pin and only connected to it |||l), and once I reset the bios and placed it in the right spot I would get the C1 error. I tried the usual - trying different combinations of RAM, resetting the BIOS several more times, and some (gentle) percussive maintenance, but nothing would fix it. I finally got it to boot with one stick of RAM after trying the many different combos, but as soon as I put any other stick into any other slot I would get the C1 error. So now I'm running Vista with 1GB of RAM, and wondering if my RAM is dead.

I've sent a message off to Crucial and they wanted to know if I had been running it at 2.2v and if I could run MemTest on the RAM at that voltage - and I had already been doing that. I pretty much always run them at 2.2v. I am not right now because I have read several posts online that people claim that much voltage kills their ballistix sticks and they've gone through X RMAs with these junky sticks, etc... From what I've read it's a somewhat common problem? I want to keep this one stick going for now, so I'm running it at 800Mhz and stock voltage.

Like I said, I'm waiting to hear back from Crucial, but I think these sticks are dead, and apparently they've changed their manufacturing process now so that their RAM sucks. I want to stay away from Crucial if possible. Please let me know if I am wrong about them, but I'm looking for some new RAM. The Mushkin Ascents look VERY nice about now. Should I just throw a 4GB kit of them in my cart at NCIX and not look back? (I'm looking at you, MushkinGreg!) I'll probably still get an RMA with crucial if applicable and sell the working Ballistix sticks. Let me know what you guys think is happening to my RAM and what I should do about it, I appreciate every reply!
Old July 14, 2008, 02:55 AM
Rookie

This is no secret; Ballistix is . I would just scrap it all together and get some new RAM
Old July 14, 2008, 03:34 AM
MVP
F@H

Well I'm no expert on this but it seems to me like you've already done some pretty extensive troubleshooting yourself. The C1 error is never a pretty sight for anybody. The way I see it, if you're willing to get some new ram anyway, and the Crucial ram is giving you this much trouble then I see no reason not to get a new kit. If you can only run one stick at 800 then something has got to be wrong. Were you able to try them in a different board? That is the only other thing I can suggest. Good luck!

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old July 14, 2008, 04:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehgooch
Should I just throw a 4GB kit of them in my cart at NCIX and not look back? (I'm looking at you, MushkinGreg!) I'll probably still get an RMA with crucial if applicable and sell the working Ballistix sticks. Let me know what you guys think is happening to my RAM and what I should do about it, I appreciate every reply!
BINGO!! Sounds like a plan. Get the 4GB Ascent's, then when your RMA'd sticks come back..flog them. Just not here.
Old July 14, 2008, 08:27 AM
Banned
F@H

yeah the ballistix you get back wont be the same. I'm one of those people that has had numerous sticks die for no reason.
Old July 21, 2008, 12:48 PM
Top Prospect

Well Crucial's customer service is pretty bad. All I found on their site was TINY email box (like not even an inch wide) which I used. They emailed asked if I had been running them at 2.2v, and at the bottom of the message it said to phone a number to reply. I work during the hours they are open so I just replied via email hoping it would work that I always run them at 2.2v as recommended. The reply I got today: "Do you run them at 2.2v?"

I wasn't even sure I got the right part number as there were at least 7 numbers on the packaging, none of them labelled.

I guess this is what I get for going with cheap ram, huh?
Old July 21, 2008, 12:54 PM
Banned
F@H

Unfortunately Crucial support staff isn't made up of overclockers.

Anyway, try updating bios with just one stick in third slot(make sure ram is good first, of course). Once this is done, test each stick alone for errors. If none, erros, the problem is your board.

If one stick tests bad, then inform Crucial of teh steps you have teken, and they should give you an RMA number.

If you need any help with settings, post back and we will see how it goes. At least we can offer a bit more personalized help over what Crucial can.
Old July 21, 2008, 01:40 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

One of my crucial sticks popped, so did one of my step brothers. Never had any memory fail other than crucial.
Old July 21, 2008, 06:37 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Anyway, try updating bios with just one stick in third slot(make sure ram is good first, of course). Once this is done, test each stick alone for errors. If none, erros, the problem is your board.

If one stick tests bad, then inform Crucial of teh steps you have teken, and they should give you an RMA number.
Heh, I can't even get the system to POST with any of the other sticks. Only the one works. I'm going to pick up some Ascents and continue talking to crucial.
Old July 21, 2008, 06:52 PM
Banned
F@H

Yeah, i think this is your best course of action, but Crucial will most often ask for these things anyway, so best ot get them out of the way, tell them exactly what you've done, step-by-step, and enjoy a quick turn around on your replacement sticks.

Just make sure you are trying to test each stick first with a proper CMOS clear.

If you've done all that I said, and tell 'em, they should be awaiting your sticks. But if you are realyl serious about that RMA, just give 'em a call, you'll have to in the end more times than not anyway.