Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2008, 03:13 PM
Top Prospect

Default SVIDEO troubles

OK so I just built a PC mainly to use for recording TV, its going to be headless and just hook up to the TV via SVIDEO but I am having some trouble setting up Svideo through an Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (I have done Svideo to this TV before, and the Svideo on the card has been used on other TVs). When I boot the PC up, I can see the windows logo on the TV set, but once windows loads, it goes all grey, with all kinds of white fuzzy lines. I have tried fooling around with the resolutions and so on but still no luck. I'm using the newer Nvidia drivers as well. As well it makes no difference weather I set to SPAN, DUAL VIEW or CLONE although when I use the PC I plan on setting it to clone so I can just use my TV set as a monitor. About the TV set its a CITIZEN CRT about 26" (this is just for testing purposes, its going to be set up on a 32" CRT).

Edit: After doing more fooling around with the windows resolution settings I think I have found the problem. For some reason it won't let me change the resolution for the TV to anything other than 1280x1024 which is WAYY too high for a 26" CRT.

EDIT 2: Fixed it, just had to play around some more. Got it set to 800x600 give me an actual display.

Last edited by the_bandit87; July 6, 2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old July 6, 2008, 03:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... I love it when folks manage to answer their own questions.... :)

Any words of wisdom as to how you finally managed to get it going? (I know ATI cards used to have a "force TV detection" checkbox, but I don't remember ever seeing it on an Nvidia card).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 9, 2008, 06:51 PM
Top Prospect

well bad news, now I have the system up on the 32" Sanyo Tube TV that the set was meant for and I can't get it to work. Whats even worse is the one time I DID get it to work it will only work with the Monitor set as default, not with the TV. From what I can see for some reason the resolution to the TV is not staying. 800x400 is the only thing I can get it to display on but its a real pain. I am thinking about putting an ATI card I could pull because I have had an ATI setup like that before.
Old July 9, 2008, 07:53 PM
Top Prospect

well I just put an ATi X1650 Pro in, and without even having the drivers installed, first boot, the Svideo is working. I always though Nvidia had the advantage when it came to Svideo but I guess not. I'm just about to put the catalyst drivers in for it and fine tune the Svideo from there. I had to put the 6600GT into the PC I robbed the 1650 from but its no big deal, that one is just a net box anyways.
Old July 10, 2008, 06:07 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I can understand your frustration, I have my TV ( 43" projection) as a second monitor to watch movies from my computer. Man what a nightmare to get things setup right. I would have used s-video but I didn't have any left open on the TV, so I had to use composite video. Wel,l now my computer thinks my TV is HD (which it's not) and the closest I can get is 480i... so it's not perfect, just waiting for my 18 month old to throw a dinky car through the screen... note to wife: gone to Futureshop be back later... : )