Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2008, 07:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default PSU Cylcing Issue

Alright so, my computer has been having weird stability issues for the last few days, and today after shutting it off I have been greeted with it refusing to boot.

When attempting to boot the power supply(OCZ ModXtream 780watt) just sits and cycles. It runs the fan for about half a second and everything in the machine gets power, then it shuts off again.

Based on that, does anyone have any ideas if its my motherboard done, my power supply or something else that I don't know of.

Any help appreciated :(

P.S. Even with just the motherboard, cpu socket and the video card plugged in I still get this issue.
Old June 18, 2008, 07:50 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
Alright so, my computer has been having weird stability issues for the last few days, and today after shutting it off I have been greeted with it refusing to boot.

When attempting to boot the power supply(OCZ ModXtream 780watt) just sits and cycles. It runs the fan for about half a second and everything in the machine gets power, then it shuts off again.

Based on that, does anyone have any ideas if its my motherboard done, my power supply or something else that I don't know of.

Any help appreciated :(

P.S. Even with just the motherboard, cpu socket and the video card plugged in I still get this issue.
One of my clients had his Gamextream 600W die with the same syndrom. PSU replacement was mandatory.
Old June 18, 2008, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with 3.0 charlie and if you want to be 100% sure test it against another PSU of a similiar wattage if you have one available. I'd also check with the manufacturer about getting a warranty replacement, provided its still covered. If thats not the problem then I would look at your motherboard as the potential problem. Provided your signature is correct and the stated equipment you have running we might believe that most psu and motherboards were built to handle a little overlocking all it takes is one capacitor or lead to short and the whole system shuts down.

Keep us posted I'd like to know how this turns out for you.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; June 18, 2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old June 18, 2008, 10:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'd love to, but I don't have a PSU around to test with...not sure what to do exactly.
Old June 18, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It isn't the most ethical thing to do, however if money is tight it helps out. You could apply for an RMA if your PSU is still within its warranty period purchase a new psu as a temporary replacement and upon recieving the replacement simply return the new one and get your money back. Now if money is less of an object get yourself a new psu ideally a little more powerful and get the original fixed and then you will have 1 as backup for simliar situations as such.

Regardless of the 2 options i have provided below I try to do as much troubleshooting as possible to rule out any other possible hardware failures and only will I do the first if my current financial situation doesn't happen come at a time when I have the funds to outrightly purchase a new product to replace the damaged unit.

Ultimately its up to you what best suits your needs at this time.

EE
Old June 18, 2008, 10:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Its within the warranty period, I've have it less than a year at this point, got it last September. Waiting for the RMA would be a bitch, hopefully I don't get too much goofed around.

Edit: How much power would I need to just boot my computer to see if I can make it run?

Last edited by ChuckleBrother; June 18, 2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old June 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have never personally dealt with OCZ regarding their RMA process maybe others can elaborate on their experiences and how to go about the RMA proccess. I doubt that you will have any problems and I understand that a RMA is a bit of inconvenience to you for a short period of time, however I think you would be far more upset if you had to buy a PSU every year for 150 dollars.

I am not sure where you are located I suggest contacting OCZ to direct you to their Canadian/USA distrubutor or you could try this website Customer support from what I have read according to OCZ website this is their Canadian Distributor and have contact information all across Canada.
Old June 19, 2008, 03:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Before you go through the RMA process, have you tried a C-MOS reset?

I'd never heard of needing to do that on a PSU until I hooked up a new 600W GameXtream and experienced exactly the same symptoms as you're reporting. After returning the PSU to the local shop where I purchased it, they tested it and found it worked fine.

On their suggestion I tried it again, but did a C-MOS reset and it booted up without any problems.....

Why did this work???? Dunno.... the best guess I could come up with was that one of the rails was at one end of spec, while my old one was at the other and the system detected this and thought that there was a PSU failure so wouldn't post.

I know this wasn't a new install, but it only takes a second to try, and it'll save you from doing an RMA only to have them send you back the same unit saying that there is nothing wrong with it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 19, 2008, 08:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just did a test confirming that its not the PSU, I grabbed a second rig and am currently powering it with my psu...

So this leaves 3 possibilities, I can try a CMOS reset, and I should probably wire my cpu power DIRECT to the cpu socket on the motherboard(I use an extender so I can route it more prettily). If neither of those work I would guess its my motherboard then right?
Old June 19, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There is the potential for that like you said try the first 2 and see what happens. I would also try running your computer at stock with the PSU and see if maybe your overclock is causing any problems.