Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2008, 07:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I forced it back to stock when I first had my machine freeze up on me the other day, hoping that it was just an unstable OC(has just increased it last week). The extender is, now that I think on it, VERY likely as a problem, might be loose or not making a proper connection.

Testing just as soon as I can get this machine wired back up with its own power supply.
Old June 19, 2008, 07:51 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

FYI: I did a CMOS reset in my customer's rig with the dead PSU. That didn't do nothing. But you can always try.
Old June 19, 2008, 08:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Unluckily for me, the PSU isn't dead, I REALLY REALLY wish it were, because I could get the upgrade to my PSU that I've been meaning to, in preperation for new gpu...but if its my mobo, I will be out of a machine for a while at least.

Edit: Its definately NOT the extender, but I did notice a bit of wiggle in the cpu power plug.

Edit2: It boots now, after a CMOS reset, but something made it go down and I rather think the PSU is the culprit, going to watch it and do some proper voltage tests when I get the chance, possibly just go through with my upgrade and stick it in a secondary machine thats expendable and then RMA it if it has any trouble..

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Last edited by ChuckleBrother; June 19, 2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old June 19, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can't imagine its been very easy with all that watercooling you have running through the system. Keep us posted on how things turn out its always nice to know what was the culprit in the end.

EE
Old June 20, 2008, 08:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have taken pieces out and swapped them and come to a startling discovery:

the only part of the machine that has any real issue is the harddrive....Yes, thats right, the my hdd is the problem. It didn't cause the motherboard issue, but it doesnt play friendly(3 BSoDs, 2 solid system freezes and a 15 minute boot, all in the course of an hour). So thats weird, time to go harddrive shopping:). Unless the drive is still under warranty or somesuch, but I don't suppose it is.
Old June 20, 2008, 02:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting. Like I stated, I had the same issue and it definitely was the PSU, since that one was replaced about 2 months back by a new one; not a glitch since then.
Old June 20, 2008, 03:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It really really is. My first guess was the PSU, but it seems to be running just fine since yesterday morning with the removal of that harddrive. Heres hoping the PSU doesn't fail on me yet:)
Old June 20, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I must say that came out of nowhere I would of have never had guess that a HDD could of caused such a problem, it is certainly interesting and something that I will keep in mind if anything starts acting up on my system.