Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2008, 05:20 PM
Top Prospect

by the way, any tips on how to reinstall the socket cover?
Old June 17, 2008, 05:28 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The plastic thingy? I know it just snaps into place. See this pic from Intel:

Old June 17, 2008, 05:34 PM
Top Prospect

it won't snap in, I'm really afraid I am going to bend a pin on the socket.

edit: never mind, I got it now, I was thinking it snapped on the inside of the retainer. Its on there now.
Old June 17, 2008, 06:21 PM
Top Prospect

awsome, I managed to get it to POST and have display now. I pulled the PCI cards that I had in.
Old June 17, 2008, 06:24 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Say that again? I taught you tried to POST barebone?
Old June 17, 2008, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect

yeah must have been the wireless card, its all assembled now. thanks for the help.
Old June 17, 2008, 06:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bandit87 View Post
it won't snap in, I'm really afraid I am going to bend a pin on the socket.

edit: never mind, I got it now, I was thinking it snapped on the inside of the retainer. Its on there now.
Heh... did exactly the same thing the first time I tried to box up a S775 motherboard.... :)

Glad to hear you got the board up and running.... what PCI cards did you have installed? (Sound card by any chance???).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 18, 2008, 02:55 AM
Top Prospect

no thats the weirdest thing. After innitial assembly the fans would start, the light on the optical drive blinked and had power, but the case speaker (which was hooked up, and checked and rechecked once I had problems) didn't make a sound and my USB devices didn't receive power. That was on innitial boot, with my Asus Wireless card (cheap crappy one, but they are like $17 so I have a few of them and they work) and my 3dFuzion 6200LE. Well from there I rechecked all my connections, (power, HDD, Optical Drive, board headers, ram (the CPU was deffinatly in there right, gold triangle on the bottom right, black label visable on the right hand side) and so on. So from there I removed the video card, still nada. After this I unpluged the HDD and Optical drive, to see if it would just boot and say "NO DISK FOUND" or somthing equivelent, nope still not making a sound. Again I checked all the connections, then I switch the ram with another stick (one which I knew worked because it was just pulled) that I had. Same result, tried a different DIMM slot, still no go. I tried it without any ram at all, the fans would still turn on but nothing from the case speaker and still no display. I then swapped the PSU (the one in the system came with the case and was brand new, other PSU was from the same other working system) still nothing. So them I reset the CMOS and nothing. And like I said before, I was boxing the thing and just about ready to go ask for RMA. I contacted NCIX, who I bought the board from and they sent me a list troubleshooting steps, most of which I had already done, but the one thing they mentioned was the PCI slots. Now I don't build one of these every other week but this one would be about the 7th or 8th PC I have built, and I do a bit of work on them from time to time so its not like I don't know anything about this stuff but I have to say PCI card was one of the things that I over looked, I just figured like it would do as usual and when after you install windows it will just say "New Hardware found". Now after I got that Email I said what the hell, give it one more go, reassembled it without anything, even RAM, and it started beeping. Thats when I knew I had somthing, so I droped the RAm in, hooked up the HDD and optical drive, and away it went. The only thing that was different besides omitting the wireless card was that I put the Optical drive on the slave position on the IDE cable (I gave it the middle connector instead of the top) which shouldn't have really made a difference since it was set to Cable Select. Now the weirdest thing, to top it all off, is that my 6200LE dosn't work at all, I can't get any display output when I boot with the card it. The board still posts but it dosn't matter if I have the VGA pluged into the card or the board (which shows the board is recognizing that its got a graphics card pluged in and disableing the integrated one) I might poke around in the BIOS and see if theres somthing in there that I have to enable but I would kind of doubt it since I haven't seen that in quite a while. Anyways the 6200 was an old card and all I am concerned about is Svide out, so I should be able to dig up another video for it card anyways.

Edit: the otherhting that I forgot to mention is that the wireless card works great and everything on the PC is working good now. So other than finding a video card (it needs S-Video because its going to be a TV tuner and I haven't ordered the card yet, so this isn't really setting me back too much)