Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2017, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Exclamation *Update* Beast Has Died

i turn my computer on after not being able to go near it for like a month and started doing regular checks to make sure everything still worked as the oc would sometimes fail so id tweak the voltages and digi power settings to cure it. well i turned the bugger on screen wouldn't turn on. keyboard wouldn't light up, so i thought well another oc failure or something so.

1.reset bios. to stock.
2.it loaded till post then complained about cpu fan error.
3.turned off the F1 warnings.
4.proceeded to windows to check temps.
5.the H240x still pumping i felt the pump and hoses.
6.checked temps everything was good idling at 32c.
7.soon as i checked system info i noticed 24gb of ram, so i loaded memtest onto USB to see,
8.memtest confirmed only 24gb of ram addressable.
9.took the system apart, cleaned the dimms, and slots.
10.put everything back in reloaded same thing
11.downloaded the 801 bios turned system off. flashed bios, cleared cmos, reloaded bios
12. same thing only 24gb available. contacted ncix for a receipt hoping to god they have a copy since its been 3 years since i bought it, and i have a different credit card since then. created an account with corsair
setup a ticket with the product code for the kit. waiting on word from them but im sure there going to want receipts.

tried everything to reseat everything but get same results so here's hoping ncix comes through, pray they don't wipe out account history after a year.
Attached Images

Last edited by Shadowarez; September 13, 2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old September 7, 2017, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Question Dimms

check this out showing 3 out of 8 dimms
Attached Images

Old September 7, 2017, 08:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I doubt they'll be able to pull your invoice. I tried once to get a receipt with them on a motherboard 14 months old and was told they only keep one year's worth. Now I email myself copies for anything over $100.
Old September 7, 2017, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Damn guess I'll have to live with just 24gb I'll pull the dimms till I find the defective one.
Old September 7, 2017, 11:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

May be the slots/socket pins for slots are dead. It is easy to check with CPU-Z (see which slot reports empty, and swap DIMM with working one). If you have massive or over-tightened heatsink on CPU - pins may go sideways sometimes.
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"
Old September 8, 2017, 12:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

this just started happening outa nowere, didnt do a reapply of tim or reseat the cpu in awhile.
Old September 8, 2017, 12:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

cpuz shows slot 1-4 all have dimms installed, and its the latest version. guess ill have to pull 1 by 1 till i find out which one isnt reporting,
Old September 11, 2017, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So cpu z shows all 4 dimms does that mean one of the sticks are bad or is the slot still ok confused by the reading as it shows all 4 slots as working.
Old September 11, 2017, 08:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The bootup issues (after the machine has sit for a while) could be PSU related. I had that issue with my RIVE and eventually one day it simply wouldn't turn on at all. Weirdest thing though, I'd usually managed to get it to boot after messing around with a bunch of things (like resetting the CMOS, using the BIOS flashback, etc).

So you may want to consider trying another PSU if you have one handy.

However, depending on your overclock, maybe you've damaged the memory controller in the CPU? Were you running high voltages?
Old September 12, 2017, 11:50 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The bootup issues (after the machine has sit for a while) could be PSU related. I had that issue with my RIVE and eventually one day it simply wouldn't turn on at all. Weirdest thing though, I'd usually managed to get it to boot after messing around with a bunch of things (like resetting the CMOS, using the BIOS flashback, etc).
Apparently that's a known issue with Rampage IV Extreme motherboards. There's even workarounds using hair dryers etc... seems they have numerous cold boot issues that differs from motherboard to motherboard in addition to onboard sound issues etc...

@Shadowarez:

What was the result of the memtest86? Did the memory pass or fail? if it's not the memory could possibly be degradation or the motherboard could be degrading or slowly failing (possibly VRM's?) Also as JD mentioned try with another power supply. That was EVGA's first power supply and the ODM/OEM didn't get favorable reviews.