Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2017, 06:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Apparently that's a known issue with Rampage IV Extreme motherboards. There's even workarounds using hair dryers etc... seems they have numerous cold boot issues that differs from motherboard to motherboard in addition to onboard sound issues etc...
Yeah I know, I tried all those things, and they all seemed to work in the moment for about a month or so. But like I said, it ultimately was a dead PSU and I RMA'd it back to Corsair (AX850) and they sent me a new HX850i.

I'd suspect all those people posting those random things probably was due to PSU issues too.
Old September 13, 2017, 07:48 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah I know, I tried all those things, and they all seemed to work in the moment for about a month or so. But like I said, it ultimately was a dead PSU and I RMA'd it back to Corsair (AX850) and they sent me a new HX850i.

I'd suspect all those people posting those random things probably was due to PSU issues too.
I've seen strange issues before with Corsair power supplies and even Corsair memory and ASUS RoG motherboards. I can't say that I'm a fan of Corsairs lower-end odm/oem sourced power supplies either especially given their stance towards warranty and silent revisions. I mean sure CWT and Flextronics might be considered a Tier1 but the fact that Corsair cuts corners on the design customization leaves a bad perception of the product. It's ironic that their AXi series even their flagships use Taiwanese caps on the secondary but their HXi flagships and even their RMi/x flagships use 100% Japanese caps. Then there's also the issues with Corsair making firmware changes and even hardware changes to their products. It might seem like a rant but in my opinion I'd rather choose Superflower or another OEM than a Corsair designed Flextronics.
Old September 13, 2017, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It passed memtest except it too only detected 24 GB of RAM. I checked cpuz as suggested it showed 4 slots with 8 GB of RAM. Update the Beast is Dead I don't think I want the frustration of diagnosing it.

I turned it in last night it got to desktop the lil red Rs sprawled across the screen and it froze. I restarted wouldn't load Windows anymore.

Get to just after Windows logo and white bars will appear across the screen and monitor shuts off. Comp still running but it's just sitting there.

I reset to default bios settings no luck the system loads to login screen but instantly locks.so I tried safe mode after 4 failed starts. Nothing in event logs show anything alarming. So I reset the PC with repair and get to setup windows again. Instant lock mouse cursor isn't even in screen.

Keyboard does nothing both mouse and keyboard have power lights are on but it's like no one's home. So not sure if I should try scavenge another Rive 4 or part it out.
Old September 13, 2017, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The PSU does have a 10 yr warranty but don't see any issues with it. Tried it out in my current HTPC. Loads perfectly.
Old September 14, 2017, 05:54 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
So not sure if I should try scavenge another Rive 4 or part it out.
X79 replacement parts if they are available cost more than the newer X99 parts. At this point it might be better building a new system than paying a premium for EOL/discontinued X79 parts. Also if the Rampage IV Black Edition was under warranty you can try with ASUS but I doubt they have any refurbished stock left for X79. In terms of parting out the three components even the 4960X doesn't hold much value when you can get a E5-1650/E5-1660 and E5-1660 for cheaper and are unlocked. You could always try and sell the processor and memory and see if that offsets the cost for rebuilding/building anew.

Last edited by Dark Knight; September 14, 2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old September 14, 2017, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah I'll try a rebuild reseat each memory stick see what that yeilds.
Old September 14, 2017, 11:12 AM
MVP

I take it that you've already pulled the RAM sticks one at a time to determine the stick (or slot) that's acting up?

Edit: Don't give up on the ol' Beast too easily.......... I know, easy for me to say. I run all kinds of old hardware.....

Edit..Edit...Sorry. I just noticed your WTB thread.......Re-flowing the solder joints on the bad slot would probably solve it, if you can swing it.

Last edited by Valkyrie; September 14, 2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old September 21, 2017, 12:12 PM
MVP

I noticed in your WTB thread you mentioned you had identified the bad slot and that even empty it was causing problems. If you have access to a magnifier, inspect the DIMM slot internally and make sure every little connector leaf is where it should be. Also inspect the solder side for any evidence of cold joints, corrosion or cracking. Maybe your board can be saved.

Edited for clarification

It is possible that the CPU socket is where the problem is. It might be worth inspecting it as well and trying a re-seat as the following post suggests. You said this problem cropped up during a period of disuse of the system. Sometimes a little microscopic corrosion goes a long way to causing trouble. Maybe a little contact cleaner and/or enhancer would help. I would go for the DIMM slot first.

Last edited by Valkyrie; September 21, 2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old September 21, 2017, 01:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You may want to check the pins in your socket to make sure none of the pins are damaged/bent out of place. A lot of what you're describing (especially the randomness of the different issues) could be explained by a CPU issue. Linus just did a video about it recently. One sec and I'll link it in this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H5_FVX9lU