Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2008, 10:44 PM
Rookie

Default Motherboard help

I have a problem that has been going on for years now and still not been able to find a solution to it.
Asus P5B deluxe--running with an intel pentium D---2 Gb pc6400 800MHz 4-4-4-12 2.1v corsair memory--silverstone zeus 850W PSU ---evga geforce 8800 GTS.
Every time i start my pc it will freeze on the windows xp logo screen , i can see the blue bar going across like 3 times and then it will freeze and i have to reset.
Once i reset it boots in windows fine. This always happen on a fresh start never on a restart.
I am running at stock setting, all i changed in the bios was the ram timing and the voltage.
I have tried a different PSU , CPU and diffferent memory but it will not go away.
I also had this same problem on an Asus P5K premium board wich i returned immediatly.
I can understand if an inexperienced person starts to mess around with bios setting this problems will show theyr ugly face, but i am runnin at stock and i find this unexpectable.
My main concern is, since i have recently purchased an Asus Rampage Formula , i am scared that this will show up on that board just like the p5b deluxe and p5k premium. This will really piss me off ,since i do not have the knowledge to fix this problem.
I have 3 other computers at my house running on a 975x chipset (one is an asus) and they do not have this problem.
What is going on here any help would be appreciated.

PS i really prey that my Ramapge Formula will not have this same issue =((
Old May 21, 2008, 11:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurier View Post
I have a problem that has been going on for years now and still not been able to find a solution to it.
Asus P5B deluxe--running with an intel pentium D---2 Gb pc6400 800MHz 4-4-4-12 2.1v corsair memory--silverstone zeus 850W PSU ---evga geforce 8800 GTS.
Every time i start my pc it will freeze on the windows xp logo screen , i can see the blue bar going across like 3 times and then it will freeze and i have to reset.
Once i reset it boots in windows fine. This always happen on a fresh start never on a restart.
I am running at stock setting, all i changed in the bios was the ram timing and the voltage.
I have tried a different PSU , CPU and diffferent memory but it will not go away.
I also had this same problem on an Asus P5K premium board wich i returned immediatly.
I can understand if an inexperienced person starts to mess around with bios setting this problems will show theyr ugly face, but i am runnin at stock and i find this unexpectable.
My main concern is, since i have recently purchased an Asus Rampage Formula , i am scared that this will show up on that board just like the p5b deluxe and p5k premium. This will really piss me off ,since i do not have the knowledge to fix this problem.
I have 3 other computers at my house running on a 975x chipset (one is an asus) and they do not have this problem.
What is going on here any help would be appreciated.

PS i really prey that my Ramapge Formula will not have this same issue =((
Sounds to me like a hard drive or memory issue.

Time to download memtest and test your memory.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Have you tried a low level format? That may seem extreme but it sounds like either a faulty windows install or virus, not a hardware issue. Unless someone else can come up with a better idea.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimark View Post
Have you tried a low level format? That may seem extreme but it sounds like either a faulty windows install or virus, not a hardware issue. Unless someone else can come up with a better idea.
What makes you think that?

Typical symptons of Windows freezing or halting is hardware faults and usually a hard drive with a few bad sectors to cause the machine to lock up or hang or memory thats bad which does the same thing.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
What makes you think that?

Typical symptons of Windows freezing or halting is hardware faults and usually a hard drive with a few bad sectors to cause the machine to lock up or hang or memory thats bad which does the same thing.
He tried different memory and motherboards. Its possible to be some bad sectors, you could try a CHKDSK or SCANDISK to find out.

I had a similar issue a couple years ago, a low level format fixed the issue.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimark View Post
He tried different memory and motherboards. Its possible to be some bad sectors, you could try a CHKDSK or SCANDISK to find out.

I had a similar issue a couple years ago, a low level format fixed the issue.
He said he tried diff memory and its still there which could mean he has bad memory slots on his board and the only way he will find this out is again by running memtest.

If memtest says his memory is bad then try other memory and if it says its bad then you have a bad memory slot or controller.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:40 PM
Rookie

Hi and thx for replys.
I had this motherboard for over 2 years i must of changed at least 4 hard drives on it and reinstall xp many times.
I tryed a lot of memory on it and nothing changed. I will run memtest on it in a few hours and let it run for 8 hours and see how it goes.
Once the machine boots in windows its rock stable , i have never a crash or a freeze in any games i play.
it is just annoying that every time i start my machine it hangs ont he windows xp logo and have to reset. I also think this is not good on my hardware.
I tryed to google it and only thread i found was this with similiar problem
P5B Cold Boot Problems - XtremeSystems Forums

PS i also have updated the bios but made no difference.

I also had this same problem on an asus p5k premium board wich i returned.
But strange on my older P5b-E , wich is still based on a 965 chipset and similiar to the p5b deluxe , i do not have this problem.
And i remeber the first time this happened i returned the motherboard to the store for an exchange and same thing happene on the newer p5b deluxe.
Like i sayd i hope my Asus rampage does not have this problem cause i payed so much money for that mobo and will hurt my feelings=)
Old May 22, 2008, 09:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Then I agree with enaberif, try a memtest because it seems you've eliminated most other options.
Old May 22, 2008, 10:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have an A8V Deluxe and had some boot problems very similar to yours. My problems magically went away after a couple weeks so I never did figure out what the problem was.

Have you replaced every part that can be replaced? I see HD and RAM on the list but what about the video card?
Bad memory is certainly a possibility but XP could be locking up on anything if the hardware is faulty: on board NIC, on board Audio, i2c, SATA controller, etc. Have you tried disabling as much as you can in the BIOS?
This happen with a fresh clean install of XP? No drivers, utilities, or programs?
Have you let it sit for a very long time? Like an hour? I had a server that would stall on reboot for 15 minutes but it was doing something as it would reliably reboot when it finished whatever it was doing. Never did figure that out either.
What happens when you boot to safe mode?
Have you tried resetting the computer during the various stages of POST and boot to see exactly where it locks?
Have you tried both SATA and PATA hard drives?
Have you tried some of the more detailed boot logging programs to see where it is locking up?
Have you installed Linux?
Have you booted from a live CD? (BartPE for Windows and Ubuntu for Linux.)
Have you used different install media for the various installations?

Frankly, this is a weird one. If it follows you to a third mainboard you may have to just accept the fact you are cursed.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

I’d try downloading and updating with the latest chipset drivers.