Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2016, 07:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Virtual Machine keyboard troubleshooting?

Before I "nuke" my Linux host and or my Windows 7 Virtual Machine guest, I want to see if this can be resolved. The short of it that my Virtual Machine guests (not just Windows 7, could be for any linux distro as well) basically will not read some keyboard (shortcuts) - copy, paste, pause, seamless mode transission, the normal host key (right control) is basically useless and won't function. But wait you say is Auto capture keyboard turn on in the settings?! - Yes, and all shortcuts are default.

Host: Linux Mint 17.3 (With Cinnamon as DE)
Virtual Box: Version 5.0.16 r105871
Linux Kernel Version: 4.2.0-35 (4.4 breaks Vbox, makes it impossible for me to just start the program and start a VM)
Moved my /home to a small partition of a HDD (Linux is on an SSD
Old April 15, 2016, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

have tried another keyboard if ever gotten wet the trace opens, then a HB pencil to close it again
Old April 15, 2016, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do all the keys work natively with no VMs enabled? You may have a case where left and right control are not registering properly, since all the shortcuts you mentioned include the use of one of the two CTRL keys.

Some keyboards have odd issues with Linux, e.g. my keyboard has this issue: drivers - CTRL and ALT keys mapped to Shift for some reason - Ask Ubuntu (I'm too lazy to compile a kernel module, so I stuck with Windows on the PC and have Linux VMs running off a different computer in the room.)

This is especially true for "gaming" keyboards because they require funny drivers to work on Windows, and of course Linux doesn't have those drivers. The best keyboard to try is the "default" one that comes with cheap PCs, or of course a keyboard that officially supports Linux.
Old April 15, 2016, 05:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

In/on Linux (host, no VM) shortcuts work normally, it seems Ctrl+Alt+ button (say P) is what the VM software (vbox) is looking for despite the settings for it show right control.
Old April 18, 2016, 09:19 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Anyone have any remote idea of what it could be?