Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2008, 09:59 AM
Allstar

Default Changed PSU now system won't boot?

So my PSU was making noises, like really odd noises. I took it out & replaced it with the same one from the shop. I go to start the system up & nothing. Well it does go to the motherboard screen where it says to press DEL to enter setup but won't do anything cause it freezes on that screen. Can't get into the Bios or anything? Any ideas?
Old May 17, 2008, 10:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you try a C-Mos reset?

I know it sounds wierd for a PSU swap, but I had to do it with an OCZ 600W GameExtreme.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 17, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
So my PSU was making noises, like really odd noises. I took it out & replaced it with the same one from the shop. I go to start the system up & nothing. Well it does go to the motherboard screen where it says to press DEL to enter setup but won't do anything cause it freezes on that screen. Can't get into the Bios or anything? Any ideas?
If it freezes on the setup screen or getting into I'll suggest on disconnecting the power from any accessories.. optical drive, hard drive, floppy drive etc.

If by chance your old power supply friend or damaged one of these it can prevent a system from booting.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
Allstar

Well with everything unplugged it still wouldn't start but would go into the Bios. It then would only allow me to enter the raid utility after that so that told me something was wrong with one of my Hard Drives. I unplugged the Storage one & sure enough system started right up. I lost alot of hours of downloads but oh well what can ya do?

Ok this is messed up. I forgot to mention earlier that I removed the Cmos battery as well as everything else before it started for me right. I just decided to try plugging in the what I thought to be the bad drive & everything worked fine this time? I'm at a loss? Maybe the whole time it was just a matter of resetting the Cmos like sswilson suggested? I'm not exactly sure but it makes me want to immediately back up what I have on these drives before I do lose it!

I appreciate the help though guys thx muchly!

Last edited by Sniper; May 17, 2008 at 11:37 AM.