Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2008, 01:31 PM
Rookie

Default Clicking sound coming from inside computer

Hey guys, first post here...and not the last, I promise you

I just built a new computer, and there's a few weird oddities that I can't seem to fix.

In particular, (although I'm sure its not just isolated to this case), whenever my monitor is showing some sort of complicated flash internet ad (for example, ones that jump out if your mouse hovers over it, or the really annoying "hellooooo" emoticon ad), somewhere along my motherboard begins to make frequent periodic clicking sounds. You know when you open an exacto-knife all the way, that kind of clicking sound? Well my computer makes that exact sound, a bit more subdued, over and over again. If I scroll down the webpage such that the ad is no longer showing on the screen, the clicking sound goes away. If I scroll back up to the ad, the sound resumes.

It's not the HD (first thing I guessed), and its not the CPU fan as I disabled the CPU fan and the sound was still there. I also doubt its the case fan. The sound seems to originate somewhere very close to the CPU, however. I've taken a good look inside and I dont see any vibrating parts anywhere. If I tilt the entire computer sideways to about 35 degrees either way balanced on one end of the case the clicking stops. Do you guys have any ideas what it might be? I know this is a very...different problem.

Also, (one more problem), when loading Crysis, during the intro movies and the main menu, my computer makes a high pitched whine, kind of like a nonstop cricket noise. It goes away when I load up a save file and in-game. It does not occur in any other game that I have.

Here are my system specs if it helps any:
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610W
Intel E8400
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
2GB OCZ PC6400 Platinum Rev 2
Galaxy 9600gt OC
WD 120GB HD
Pioneer DVD-ROM

Thanks in advance....anyone who can solve these problems gets one million love points from me!
Old May 16, 2008, 01:54 PM
Top Prospect

Do you think it could be the loose wires from the power supply dangling over the cpu fan? I have the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 and I find that there is alot of dangling wires since it is not modular.

Paphman910
Old May 16, 2008, 02:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

yes check your wires first but u might have a bad board and what your hearing is electricity going through bad caps when your gpu is strained a little bit. what drivers u using for your gpu?
Old May 16, 2008, 04:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

sounds like a fan problem to me, a wire touching the blades, or sometimes if they are attached with screws
a little too tight, the fan frame can warp slightly and at higher speeds the blades can touch the frame.
Mine does that, I just loosened the screws half a turn and bingo, fixed!
Old May 16, 2008, 06:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you suspect that it's motherboard components (sounds like the location of the voltage regulation ccts) you can try to isolate the component by using the erasor tip of a pencil while the clicking sound is active. Just make sure to cover the metal erasure mount with something non-conductive so that you don't short anything out.

If you do find the offending component, you can try to deaden the sound with something like an electrical potting compound.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 16, 2008, 06:19 PM
Rookie

To the people who suggested dangling wires, fan problem, etc...I dont think its that. The clicking sound occurs ONLY when my monitor is displaying particular types of internet ads. Granted there may be other possible triggers for the clicking that I haven't encountered yet, but so far, its just internet ads. I've also tucked away my wires in a nice empty area of my case, so I dont think it's any of my wires...will double check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverclan View Post
yes check your wires first but u might have a bad board and what your hearing is electricity going through bad caps when your gpu is strained a little bit. what drivers u using for your gpu?
I'm using ForceWare version 174.88...if its of any relevance the Video Card BIOS version is 62.94.0d.00.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson
If you suspect that it's motherboard components (sounds like the location of the voltage regulation ccts) you can try to isolate the component by using the erasor tip of a pencil while the clicking sound is active. Just make sure to cover the metal erasure mount with something non-conductive so that you don't short anything out.

If you do find the offending component, you can try to deaden the sound with something like an electrical potting compound.
Interesting...I'll definitely give this one a try, and I'll return with the results!

Thank you everyone for your help!
Old May 17, 2008, 01:24 PM
Top Prospect

Its most likely one of you fans, check your gpu fan as well. It could also be your harddrive but that is unlikely.
BFG nvidia 8800 GTS 512 MB G92 core
Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU fan
Ultra X-Blaster computer case
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
G15 keyboard and G7 mouse
22 inch widescreen samsung
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
Old May 17, 2008, 06:10 PM
Top Prospect

U know what i had the EXACT same problem on a new computer i just built. It wasn't a fan and it wasn't a hdd and wasn't the PSU. Couldn't figure out what the hell the problem was.

But i DO know that it was coming from very close to the CPU. Is your sound coming from around that area?
Old May 17, 2008, 06:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh....

My DFI board does the same thing... sounds like the contacts of a very small relay opening and closing. Never could find the culprit, just learned to live with it. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP