Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2015, 03:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Question Advice on system stability

Well if you saw my Canadian RMA thread entry, my GPU fried.

I am just concerned about the manner in which it went and wondering if it's safe to introduce a replacement into the system.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard and it's posting fine, code A0 and running off the integrate video card fine.

When the card, a PNY Geforce GTX 780 OC 3072MB blew, it shut down the PC, then when I restarted a big spark flew out of the PCB and the PC didn't get to the boot screen.

What I'm concerned with is, was it a card issue or was there a voltage spike from the PCI bus or the PSU connectors.

I have attached a photo of the area that is blackend from the spark. If any of you have knowledge of function that area could have and any speculation as to the cause I would appreciate it.

Should I check the voltage on the 8pin / 6pin connectors before hooking them up to a new card? Can I assume the PCI bus voltage wasn't at fault if the board is posting fine? Is there a way to verify that voltage as well? I know this mobo has some contact points for measuring voltage perhaps therein is the key to that.

Thanks for any help, suggestion in advance. I have ordered a replacement card and it's on it's way.

NOTE: I found another thread about the exact same Card suggesting that that's a VRM spot.

Low.
Attached Images

Last edited by low351; November 5, 2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old November 5, 2015, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What is the power supply? How old?

Realistically I would be more inclined to say it was a faulty component on the GPU, than a voltage spike.
Old November 5, 2015, 03:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Faulty component. If it was a big voltage spike you'd have released the magic blue smoke from a bunch of parts, not just the one.
Old November 5, 2015, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had the same thing happening to me, with a Radeon HD 5770 at the time. The PSU, an Antec EarthWatts 650, worked just fine after, powering even a 280X, so bad components on the GPU PCB. In my case it was a bit more dramatic though, as It took the 55" TV with it as well. Luckily a 2 year warranty from Costco had me covered, as the repair would have been more than half a grand.
Old November 9, 2015, 10:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the comments/feedback guys. @Bond007, It's a fairly good PSU, it's a Corsair AX850 and it's 3yrs old, apparently it has a single 12V rail which I would take to assume that if it was the PSU the whole system would be going wonky. The system has been stable throughout the week.

I should be receiving my ASUS strix 970GTX today, I'm hoping it's a slight upgrade from the 780, not in terms of speed but the fact that it uses less power and has a 0db fan mode when not being taxed. I'm gaming at 1200p so it should give me similar performance to the 780 on most games as I understand it.

Old November 10, 2015, 08:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks guys, the new card went in last night and is working fine. NOTE: when I first put it in I panicked because the monitors remained black when I had them plugged into it. Since I'd had a problem I thought the PCI bus was comprimised, the power supply connnector, all kinds of worry going through my head but I resolved myself to calm down and reason it out.

The Asus Strix has an LED next to the power connector, it's supposedly red when inadequate power is connected, mine was white, good.
The fans on the strix are off in their normal state, it's a 0db card when not under load. I powered on and watched the fans cycle for about 3 secs then stop, good.
I played around with the bios setting for the "init first display", but I got it wrong and picked IGFX which is the internal graphics at first, I switched it to PEG which is the 16x PCI-X but nothing happened.
I played my last card and pressed the CMOS reset switch on my GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard. THAT DID IT. It booted with the display plugged into the DVI of the strix.

Come to think of it, I had to do the same thing when I switched over to the integrated after the other card blew. I guess it's a quirk, the bios settings don't seem to take until you reset and set it again.

So now I'm up, 2 screens, one DVI and the other HDMI on the Strix and things are peachy. I ran Ark Evolved on it last night, good performance about the same as my 780GTX was, and I ran MWO on it and the performance seemed about 10-12 fps better.

Tags
gpu , pny , psu , voltages