Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2008, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Just a quick update before i go to bed...

Seems that my Q9450, though officially supported still has some issues with my striker 2 formula board. After having it in the shop all day, trying differant configs (he too thought it was the 1066 balistix, apperantly they've had alot of bad luck with them) we (by we i mean he ;D ) swapped out the Q9450 with a Q6600 and it was smooth sailing, no reboot problems, crashes, hangs or other such nasties. The tech suggested that since i have another board compatable with the Q9 i should try swapping out my Q6 to my striker and my Q9 to my P5k E and see if i have any issues with the Q9 on the P5k E, that way i could rule out either the board or the proc being defective. So i did, i've got the Q9 in my P5K E and vise versa and both seem to be running quite well, no hickups on either. Only real bad thing i can see with the Q9 is that i'm idleing at stock settings at a cool (not) 44C on water while my Q6 sailed along quite nicely at idle stock temps on water at 32 ish. perhaps coretemp beta Version 0.99.0.14 isnt reading the temps right. Actually "real temp" is showing my cores at 34, which is the same as it did on the striker board on air so i dunno what to believe just yet, these chips are still a bit new. So long story short, my striker isnt exactly playing nicely with the Q9450. I'm sure there will be a bios update for it soon enough. Till then, it can stay in my home computer and my trusty "old" Q6600 can come play with me at work.

On a side note i was able to pull off a 3dmark06 score of 14000 ish with completely stock settings.

My raid 0 raptors are a bit dissapointing at 168 mb/s max 109 mb/s min read speeds. I'm wondering if nvidia's raid chipset is kinda sucky and holding them back. Better than the 100 mb/s min/max i was getting before. Seems the only way to get the sata 3 speeds from the striker 2 is to have only a single drive on each bus (busses being 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, so you can put drives on 1,3,5 or 2,4,6 but not two on any one set or it'll slow it down. Alternitavly it could have been because i partitioned the raid drive to C: and D: I read someplace that nvidia's chipset doesnt take kindly to that kind of thing, works nicely on my Intel chipset though. Anuther thing is the terribly unusually long boot time... like 1min 20 secondsish... with 3 raid 0 raptors my boots should be the blink an you miss it variety. my intel raid drive boots super fast and according to benchies its a slower raid set across the board... goes to show you the truth of synthetic benches i suppose

If anyone reads this and has a striker 2 formula and the new Q9 series and is either having no problems or similar problems please post either way. Itll give me an idea of where to turn to next.

Thanks!

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old May 15, 2008, 05:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

good to see you getting somewhere.
Old May 17, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well i've been trying and tweeking this pc for days now and no matter what i do i cant get past the feeling of dissapointment with this board. I'm sure its a great board... for someone... but compairing it to my p5k e its quite outclassed. Trying to overclock is a nightmare, i've only gotten 2.7 ghz out of my proc (my Q6600 which i've had stable at 3.8 on water and 3.5 on air with the same cooler i have on it now) And 1000 mhz @ 4.3.3.5 t2 out of my ram. I know the 1066 ram has been a bit wonky in the past, and my board is only rated for 800 mhz, but these same sticks of crucial ballistix i've had on my p5k with a benchmark of over 8000mb/s and i cant even squeeze 5000mb/s out of them on this board, that is really really dissapointing considering the cost of the striker over the p5k.

All parts the same, but the ps and the board my S-pie scores went from 1m=12 sec on the p5k to 1m=21 sec on the striker...

I'm almost ready to believe there is something wrong with the board, my windows boot times are rediculous from the time i see the windows logo to the time that same logo drops to the welcome screen is 1 min and 20 seconds. I've reloaded windows numerous times, and i've tried windows 2003 server, I've broken the raid array down to single drives, just a dual drive array and a 3 drive array, the boot times are the same. XP on my p5k boots so fast i often miss it (look away to the tv for a few secs or talk to the wife a moment and its done) I'm really at a loss, everything about this pc seems sluggish and slow, installing large programs, decompressing files, loading programs... all very slow. I expected this build to be at LEAST as good more likely BETTER than my p5k.

Any ideas as to what could be causeing this board to be such a slug? is the nvidia chipset no good? this is my first nvidia chipset so i really dont know.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0