Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2008, 10:59 AM
Top Prospect

Default P5K Deluxe FSB Won't Change

So I've had this P5K D for about a year now. It used to work normally but about 2 months ago the FSB wouldn't change anymore. No matter what I change the FSB to, it won't budge out of stock. I've had ss's of me running at close to 4ghz b4 so it used to work but not anymore. Other settings like voltage will change just not fsb. I've tried upgrading and downgrading to about 6 different bios revisions to no avail. Just for reference I'm running a q6600 on it.

One thing I've noticed is that if i set my fsb to lets say 400, then i load into windows and use "setfsb" to read my fsb it'll actually say 400 but my actual cpu speed and fsb won't be 400. It doesn't matter if i change fsb in bios or in 'setfsb' nothing changes.

It seems to me like the setting is actually saving and going to whatever i set but somehow it won't actually alter the real fsb. I've heard of someone else having the similar problem but nothing really went further than the guy saying he had the problem. In his case his fsb was stuck at 333 cuz it was stock for his cpu.

At this point I'm wondering if I should just RMA the board or if Asus will even accept this problem for RMA? Any ideas from anyone?
Old May 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
MVP
F@H

just out of curiosity do you have another CPU you could try it with? i don't think it will change anything but you never know
Old May 13, 2008, 01:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried removing the battery and clearing CMOS? Make sure you disconnect the power supply too. I had an issue like that with a Giga-byte board that I got to fix by doing this procedure.

Good luck!
Old May 17, 2008, 06:06 PM
Top Prospect

U know what I actually did what u said and it worked. Go figure. I guess I was just lazy 2 pull out my vid card 2 get the battery out.