Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2008, 06:01 AM
Rookie

Default built new PC, won't power on.. details inside!

hello all, i went back to directcanada.com to start the troubleshooting process, and there is a link to this site. i'm hoping i can post and have someone with a similar experience help out. this is a fairly lengthy post but i'm trying to be thorough and give as much info as possible to those able or willing to respond.

problem:
just put new PC together last night following standard directions in the manuals for case and mobo/processor/etc... and when i finally hit the power button absolutely nothing happens. dead :(

parts:
Antec Sonata Plus 550W PSU (pre-installed, modular)
ASUS P5K-E AP/WIFI mobo
BFG OC512MB GF 8800GT vid
2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 800 ram
pioneer DVD re-writer (sata)
Samsung HDD (sata)
Intel Quad Q6600 with HSF

observation:
there is a green LED called SB_PWR (standby power) that lights up on the mobo when the power switch is turned on on the back of the PSU. can i elimiate the PSU? this, by the way, is the ONLY indication of any type of power going into the PC

attempted:
reseated the CPU
reseated the HSF
reseated vid card
confirmed all power connections (24 pin plus the 2x4 power to mobo) and signal (SATA) connections
reseated the front panel connectors
did the clear ram thing (battery + jumper)
prayer

outstanding:
i have read that some recommend connecting out of the case... since i'm now at work, can't try that yet
i didn't find a wire in the case for the system speaker, so that is not connected to the 4-pin connector were the rest of the front panel pins are
i didn't try using onle one DIMM yet.

other questions:
my case came with a large case fan pre-installed. coming from that there is only a power connection and a wire that terminates at a switch for L/M/H fan speed. i was asked if i had the fan connected to the CH FAN1 but there's nothing to connect. it was suggested that not having that connected might prevent powering up.

does anyone know how directcanada.com's support is in such circumastances?

shorting... i have NO idea how to determine if somehting is shorting. should i just be checking that there are no more standoffs than needed? (i don't think there were). should i try removing the I/O panel?

also, does it matter which screws are used to mount the mobo?

thanks all for your attention. any help is very much appreciated!
Old May 13, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Theres a 10 step no post guide here on the forum too but try below.

Try a barebones start first-disconnect all fans, HD-leaving the Ram, board and GPU. Its a promising sign that the green light comes on anyway.

Check boards seated on its standoffs properly-ie only the holes with the white circles should be attached to standoffs. There are other holes on that board that dont have white circles.

Also check the case power on wires are in the right place-theres a labeled white adapter that comes with the board to neaten up the power wires, HD light etc that comes from the case-i

Other than that take the board out the case and do a barebones start and hopefully you've got some working ram to test in the system

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old May 13, 2008, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Just thinking.... did you maybe plug the power switch into the wrong header on the mobo? or maybe that switch is pooched. Try taking it out and short the two pins (confirm they are the right pins in the manual) with a small screw driver and see what happens.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old May 13, 2008, 08:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

edit: Damn... folks are quick around here!!! :)

Just to ensure that it isn't your power switch messing things up take the power switch header off and try shorting the two pins with a conductive object like a screwdriver. (It's only momentary... don't hold it on if it starts).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 13, 2008, 08:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

LED Ďoní on the MB is a good sign.
If you have a 4 pin fan connected directly to the PSU thatíll tell you if you have +12 volts ok.
Try a single RAM stick, if still a no go, try the other one.
after that, re-read all the manuals i guess.
ASUS may give you support, but don't expect too much from DC.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:09 AM
Rookie

appreciate the responses guys... going to play newbie here and say i don't know how to short something

don't know what "short the pins" means. sorry.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:21 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You did connect the case's connectors (those pesky black, small, plactic, rectangular-shaped conectors) to the board, right? Well those metal "spikes" on the board are the pins. Find the two pins that are used to power the board - the same two that you connected the case's Power On button. Flick the PSU switch On. Now to short: use a very small flat screwdriver (also called a jeweler's screwdriver) and touch both pins to start your computer. DO NOT TOUCH any other pins at the same time.