Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2015, 07:04 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Need help ASAP!!

After installing windows 10 to my HP envy laptop my screen was flashing with my background image and I was unable to click on any files or open the control panel. After restarting the computer via safe mode the screen simply read that I did not have an operating system installed and the Hard Drive passed both its tests and the computer passed a memory test. I took the computer to best buy where it was purchased from and their response after running a diagnostic is that my hard drive had failed and I am in need of replacement.

This seems strange to me as the computer was functioning and the drive was active, could it be possible that the malfunction windows 10 erased windows 8 and can no longer function? Additionally, would reinstalling windows 8 via backup drive allow me to repair the computer and recover the information on the hard drive or would I be better to have a new drive installed and attempt to repair the old drive with a new disk? I'm not too sure which direction to take but some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RamblerGambler; August 10, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old August 10, 2015, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

seems funny to me the harddrive would go bad only after installing win10 ( hmm think they want ya cash )
if i was you i would wait on guys alot smarter then me on this , with that said i would format my drive reinstall win7 or 8.1 and see what that does !!!!
but again i wouyld wait on guys smarter than me to answer the questions you have :)
Old August 10, 2015, 08:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGambler View Post
After installing windows 10 to my HP envy laptop my screen was flashing with my background image and I was unable to click on any files or open the control panel. After restarting the computer via safe mode the screen simply read that I did not have an operating system installed and the Hard Drive passed both its tests and the computer passed a memory test. I took the computer to best buy where it was purchased from and their response after running a diagnostic is that my hard drive had failed and I am in need of replacement.

This seems strange to me as the computer was functioning and the drive was active, could it be possible that the malfunction windows 10 erased windows 8 and can no longer function? Additionally, would reinstalling windows 8 via backup drive allow me to repair the computer and recover the information on the hard drive or would I be better to have a new drive installed and attempt to repair the old drive with a new disk? I'm not too sure which direction to take but some feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have the restore disks? That'd be my first step and would tell you whether or not the drive will accept a fresh install.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old August 10, 2015, 08:47 PM
Rookie

I have them, I just have to get the laptop back from best buy tomorrow, I told them not to do any work on it without my permission.
Old August 10, 2015, 11:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Did you purchase the laptop at best buy? The thing i hate about those type of shops is they sell people computers without an operating system disk. Like the actual windows install disk. It seems completely retarded to me that this is even legal considering the OS cdkey is stickered on the back of the lappy and therefore paid for. Its just a bullcrap cash grab IMO and something that never happens at places like memory express.

If you put a new HDD in the computer you'll have no choice but to pay them to fix your OS because the restore disks work off the stupid recovery partition that's pre-installed on the drive. The other option is, and I highly suggest it is, If the HDD is in fact toast. Buy a new HDD along with your very own OEM copy of which ever version of windows OS you like and break free of over priced shitty service from best buy. Their installs are tailored and bloated. OEM versions of windows are cheaper than retail and can normally be ordered online or via memx.

Moral is don't buy laptops from best buy.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; August 10, 2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old August 11, 2015, 04:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

What people have to understand is that not every manufacturer has approved Windows 10 for use on their systems. Take Sony Vaio notebooks as an excellent example of this; due to a lack of driver support for some of their hardware components, they have explicitly stated to NOT update for the time being. Meanwhile, everyone jumps on the bandwagon assuming things will be OK.
Old August 11, 2015, 05:11 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Do you have files you need to recover first off? Boot your laptop up using some sort of live Linux distro and see if it sees (and mounts your drive) If it does then copy anything you need before proceeding with a restore/reinstall etc. If it doesn't see it then either it cannot detect it (or mount it automatically) or it is in fact toast.
Old August 11, 2015, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
Do you have files you need to recover first off? Boot your laptop up using some sort of live Linux distro and see if it sees (and mounts your drive) If it does then copy anything you need before proceeding with a restore/reinstall etc. If it doesn't see it then either it cannot detect it (or mount it automatically) or it is in fact toast.

If he took the laptop to bestbuy I don't think he is at that level of expertise. As for the disk, you can just download one image and activate it with the serial on back of the machine. If I were you I would profit of the occasion to buy a SSD, slap it in there and keep the original HDD as an external unit (provided it still works), mounted in a USB enclosure. And never keep important files on the boot drive without having them backed up on an external drive.
Old August 11, 2015, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
What people have to understand is that not every manufacturer has approved Windows 10 for use on their systems. Take Sony Vaio notebooks as an excellent example of this; due to a lack of driver support for some of their hardware components, they have explicitly stated to NOT update for the time being. Meanwhile, everyone jumps on the bandwagon assuming things will be OK.
Doesn't windows 10 have a compatibility wizard?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old August 11, 2015, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No, it is one from Win7 to Win8 however. Around the web they say Win10 is basically a Win 8.5.