Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2015, 09:21 PM
Trial Member

Default Coil Whine issue

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to problems with hardware acting up for odd reasons. At present, my problem is an ungodly amount of coil whine at idle. The pitch is enough to keep me unfocused at times, and otherwise, my rig barely makes any noise (the fans are all rated at <20dBa). I've searched through a few different forums for an answer, but they all have wildly different ideas, most of which i'm unfamiliar with.

My PSU is rated at 900W (1000W peak), and i'm running a Radeon HD 7850 on an Asus M5A97 with an AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core processor. I've had coil whine since my last GPU, and have no real understanding of what might be causing it with this setup. Doesn't seem to be a huge draw on the one line i've got it plugged into, and i've only got two other cords plugged into it (8 ports total). I can't hear the whine when I turn on my fans and such, but I Do have a fan controller (which doesn't work at all, not sure what the deal is with it), and saw that that Might be a problem in another thread.

Looking forward to seeing what you all think of this situation, and hoping I can get it all sorted without having to buy something new (if so, i'll gladly drop a reasonable bit of cash to save my ears and sanity). Thanks!
Old April 1, 2015, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

conformal coating might help stop the whine... some people have tried with with success in the past. It's cheap too.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 2, 2015, 04:49 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Have you been able to physically locate the whine? I think that should be the first step since it could be anything from an GPU inductor to a capacitive coil emitting feedback within your PSU.
Old April 2, 2015, 06:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Agree with sky. The first step is finding the component causing the noise. Most likely is GPU or PSU. It can be hard to differentiate which at times...you may need to use a tube or something similar to hear from an area better, or you could remove the PSU and have it off to the side of the case and hook it all up. Once you find the issue, then you can better troubleshoot it.

Tags
coil whine