Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2015, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Default Weird display problem

The system Im using is an amd fx6300 processer, an asrock 970 extreme3 R2.0 MOBO, two sticks of 4GB Samsung ram, a visiontek r9 280x gpu and a rosewill arc 750 psu. Since I powered on the system initially I had these weird bands of horizontal white lines, it's not the display, I have plugged a laptop into the monitor using the same hdmi cable and there were no lines to be seen, I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't have the luxury or just switching components to find the problem though cause I have no spare parts nor the cash to buy them. Please help!
Old March 27, 2015, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Like this?
Old March 30, 2015, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Here is a picture.
Attached Images

Old March 30, 2015, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What are your GPU temps? I suspect overheating/bad ram? iirc bad ram will give you a snow effect. It has been a while since I have had GPU issues so someone else may be able to spot the problem. Have you been messing around with drivers? Any remnants of old nVidia drivers in the registry?
Old March 31, 2015, 12:51 PM
Rookie

Its a new build so there aren't any drivers at all on it initially, I have tried to install the amd display drivers, but my screen goes black and i can hear the fans spinning up, I have left it for up to 2 hours and there is no change. I'm not sure what the gpu temps are. How would i know if i have bad ram? I can see the ram in the BIOS it says the proper speed and capacity and everything.
Old March 31, 2015, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Like I said, I don't think that's vram (I could be wrong) vram issues usually turn up as white dots (my experience) It may be the GPU. If you know the monitor/cable is good I'd be tempted just to RMA the card. Not much else you can do without another card to test with. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Edit: Did you try to re-seat the card?

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; March 31, 2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old April 7, 2015, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Yes, I have tried that multiple times. Is it possible to get the card repaired, I have contacted the seller and they are offering to let me keep the card and give me a partial refund.
Old April 8, 2015, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If Visiontek cards are anything like HIS cards I wouldn't be surprised if the cooling on the card isn't even making proper contact with the GPU die or some other heat source on the card.

Return it for a full refund if possible and get a better brand. RMA if not. Hopefully the seller wasn't dinking around with the card... I'd be asking for all my money back though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner was cryptocoining with it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.