Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

I just ran a Memtest86 for 4 hours on the single stick of ram that I've got installed for the OS install and it completed the tests without any errors. How long do you run memtest for? I've herd that it should be run overnight?

In the last 24hrs I've tested my harddrive with the test program from it's manufacture and it passed all the tests there and my ram is passing memtest86 test, I've tried two different video cards and four cd/dvd drives.

What should I do to test the PSU? the voltages seem stable from the bios atleast.

Last edited by Mulder; July 12, 2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old July 12, 2008, 06:24 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Ok Greg; you've been busting your brain for a month on this DS3L, with NCIX saying everything is just fine. You did every test possible, every one of them that we asked for.

We need to put an end to this.

Here's what I'm willing to do. Send me a PM with your personal information and I will send you one of my boards, a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R and an OCZ 600W PSU - if you promise me to take real good care of them. I will pay for the shipping to send it your way; you pay to send it back home. That board, which is in perfect order, was running a pair of SATA HDDs, and a SATA DVD burner. I installed Windows Vista using a legit DVD - no special drivers, no particular BIOS settings. The PSU is top notch. That rig ran that way for more than a year.

Once you receive the package, install Windows using the DVD burner on your HDD of choice. Now if it works, NCIX was wrong - the DS3L is indeed dead. If it does not, then the problem lies either with the DVD disc, the DVD burner or the HDD you are using.

Are you willing?

John

Last edited by 3.0charlie; July 12, 2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old July 12, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, 3.0charlie, thats really nice of you. Its great to know that there are such people in our forums.
Old July 13, 2008, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Ok Greg; you've been busting your brain for a month on this DS3L, with NCIX saying everything is just fine. You did every test possible, every one of them that we asked for.

We need to put an end to this.

Here's what I'm willing to do. Send me a PM with your personal information and I will send you one of my boards, a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R and an OCZ 600W PSU - if you promise me to take real good care of them. I will pay for the shipping to send it your way; you pay to send it back home. That board, which is in perfect order, was running a pair of SATA HDDs, and a SATA DVD burner. I installed Windows Vista using a legit DVD - no special drivers, no particular BIOS settings. The PSU is top notch. That rig ran that way for more than a year.

Once you receive the package, install Windows using the DVD burner on your HDD of choice. Now if it works, NCIX was wrong - the DS3L is indeed dead. If it does not, then the problem lies either with the DVD disc, the DVD burner or the HDD you are using.

Are you willing?

John
Thank You very much John I really appreciate this! This is the most generous thing anyone has done for since this Horror of a build started and hopefully this will help me resolve my hardware problem.
Old July 13, 2008, 03:08 PM
Top Prospect

On a whim I installed an old 20gig IBM drive I've had sitting on a shelf for awhile as master and used the only CD drive that seems to work on this pc an old Creative IDE 48x cdrom and it installed windows xp. So thinking that something was working finally I went into town and found a store that was open and purchased the largest IDE drive they had a WD 80 gig drive. Tried to install XP on to that and I get "Session3_initialization_failed".

Perhaps I should contact NCIX in and request that they ship me EXACTLY the SATA hard drive and SATA dvd burner they were using as a test setup to install windows as that seems to be the only hard drive burner combo that works on this PC besides the equipment I dusted off from 1998.

I've installed four hard drives now and six different cd/dvd players and or burners and nothing seems to work, except the two IDE drives from 1998. Loads of use this pc is to me like this one 20 gig HD and a 48x cd rom.

I have no clue what to do from here, I've purchased everything but a second motherboard trying to get this PC to work and nothing is working. This Whole Build was suppose to be enjoyable and allow me to play some PC games this summer during the daytime heat but all it's caused me to do was get totally sick of PC hardware.

I seriously don't think I'll ever build another PC after this build, I've built 10-15 PC's before for my personal use and have NEVER run into anything like this EVER.
Old July 13, 2008, 09:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

damb that freakin sucks man i love my ds3l, what revision is it? is it 2?, cause maybe it has a wack sata controller, what bios u using? and if this sounds retarded or if u allready posted this stuff im sorry idont see it hope u reply good luck i would just tell nicx to replace and if u cant u should return it and go buy one locally i found mine for 50 bucks in the states. damb im tired if there's typos sorry.
Old July 13, 2008, 11:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

couple suggestions with the sata dvd drive, make sure that your dvd drive isnt on the same bus as the hd, if you know what i mean, there is bus 1,2 / 3,4 / 5,6 put your hard drives on 1 and 2 and your dvd drive on 345or 6, but no hd on any bus the dvd is on. also, if your using a windows install disk that incorperates automatic driver instalation with windows installation, turn the option for it off when installing windows. lots of times there can be driver incompatabilities with sata / sata raid drivers while installing windows causing bsods.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old July 31, 2008, 05:28 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Mulder,

clean your PM Inbox if you want me to reply to your last PM!
Old August 10, 2008, 10:37 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Hey Mulder,

clean your PM Inbox if you want me to reply to your last PM!
Sorry about that 3.0Charlie, that Inbox got full fast! it's still at %97
Old August 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
Top Prospect

My pc has been up and running for a little while now. I ended up having to replace my OCZ power stream 520 with a new Silver Stone Zeus 750, I had a Doa Samsung SH-S203N that caused a lot of problems with other drives while it was installed. One of my hard drives a 320 gig Hitachi drive didn't want to work on this board so I purchase a new ST3500320AS that is working perfectly. Also I was attempting to install windows XP upgrade over top of 98 and apparently this board isn't Dos compatible as it refuses to find any of the 10 or so different cd-dvd drives I attempted to install with.

I would like to Thank everyone here for the pm's and responses to this thread, I would also like to personally thank 3.0charlie and sswilson for there responses here and in PM and Gav for his comments via PM. What 3.0charlie did with shipping that hardware to me was amazing it allowed me to test and single out exactly what was and wasn't working. This is the only time on any forum I've ever been a member of that I've herd of someone dong what 3.0charlie did for me. Thanks 3.0charlie!!!

Last edited by Mulder; August 10, 2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Typos