Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2014, 04:39 PM
MVP

Default I'm having problems with my printer

Hello, recently I starting having the issue where my printer isn't talking to my PC anymore. The printer is connected through a USB connection.

My first thought was to check the cable connections. They are fine. Next, I tried uninstalling and re-installing the software. During the installation I receive this error message: (see attachment).

I clicked on devices and printers and see this: (see attachment).

When I trouble shoot, I see this: (see attachment).

When I click apply the fix, I see this: (see attachment).

I thought that the network controller is something I would find on my motherboard's manufacturer website, here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Z87-PRO

But I installed everything I see on that list and it didn't fix it.

I think that if I get this network controller installed that will solve my problem with the printer. Any thoughts or ideas?
Attached Images

Old May 14, 2014, 05:01 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Is the printer connected through USB 3.0 by any chance?
Old May 14, 2014, 05:06 PM
MVP

Yes it is.
Old May 14, 2014, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

wonder why it's looking at network for connection not usb

what OS ....... 32 or 64 bit
Old May 14, 2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
Yes it is.
Is it the USB port just to the left of the audio connectors? If not try those as they run directly off the PCH. The other USB ports use an ASMedia chip which has been known to cause compatibility issues.

I would also download the latest chipset drivers from ASUS alongside the newest ASMedia drivers. ASUS actually recommends you run printers off of the ASMedia ports though.....
Old May 14, 2014, 09:45 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
wonder why it's looking at network for connection not usb

what OS ....... 32 or 64 bit
64 bit windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Is it the USB port just to the left of the audio connectors? If not try those as they run directly off the PCH. The other USB ports use an ASMedia chip which has been known to cause compatibility issues.

I would also download the latest chipset drivers from ASUS alongside the newest ASMedia drivers. ASUS actually recommends you run printers off of the ASMedia ports though.....
I tried all of the different USB ports but it doesn't help. I think the key to this is installing the network controller that windows says is missing. Like I said though, I installed everything on the Asus website for my motherboard. My printer has wireless connectivity, so maybe I'll just have to go that route.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Iv had issues with my Pixma printer as well no comps would see it even if latest drivers. I plugged it into Usb on my router now all my comps see it and can print to it.
Old May 15, 2014, 01:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
64 bit windows 7

I tried all of the different USB ports but it doesn't help. I think the key to this is installing the network controller that windows says is missing. Like I said though, I installed everything on the Asus website for my motherboard. My printer has wireless connectivity, so maybe I'll just have to go that route.
Have you actually installed the proper drivers for your printer?

Seeing that it was searching "Windows Update" makes me wonder if your just using default windows drivers? Which is a BIG no no.
Old May 15, 2014, 05:23 AM

Another option is that your printer is actually using its wireless mode and can't find your computer on its network. Hence why it is throwing a network error into Windows.
Old May 15, 2014, 04:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Have you actually installed the proper drivers for your printer?

Seeing that it was searching "Windows Update" makes me wonder if your just using default windows drivers? Which is a BIG no no.
The error message that you see in the first screen shot is during the installation of the printer software, using the CD that came with the printer. I have found the same software on Brother's website, and I get the same error using that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Another option is that your printer is actually using its wireless mode and can't find your computer on its network. Hence why it is throwing a network error into Windows.
The only thing that changed in my set up is I upgraded from AM3 790fx to LGA 1150 Z87. Now that was a couple of months ago, and the issue with the printer only showed up two days ago.

When I uninstall the Printer and disconnect it from the computer, the blue box icon still remains with the orange triangle indicating a problem. TRAPPERKEEPERV2 is my computer name, it's a South Park reference. I can't help but think that if I figure out how to fix the blue icon, it will fix the printer.