Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2014, 05:58 AM
Rookie

Default New build pc problems

Hello there.

This would be my first time looking for help on a forums like this but maybe someone can help me figure out whats wrong with my PC.
I just recently build this PC and im pretty sure something is wrong with it.
The first problem is a buzzing sound comming from the PSU when i start pretty much all games. It doesnt make it on loading screens just ingame..(funny thing i just tried it with Fallout 3 and i found a spot in the cloudy dark sky where it doesnt make the sound and it seemed like the sound changed depending on where i was looking in the game.)

The second problem is that in the few games i tested i get graphic glitches at random times (Diablo 3,Thief)

And the third problem is that since iv build the pc (2 weeks ago) iv got like 4-5 bluescreens after closing a game or after closing chrome window.

Im using 2 monitors but i believe thats not part of the problem.

My OS is Win7 no SP
PSU is Corsair CX750
GPU is Sapphire r9 270x toxic
and im running latest drivers for GPU

And yeah i build the pc myself. (not sure that was a good idea now)
PS: The temperatures of the GPU went max to like 75 C while playing Bioshok infinite on Ultra with VSync off.
Old April 4, 2014, 08:11 AM
Allstar

Hmm if it's an older PC, I would say coil whine would be normal but in a brand new PC, you may need to contact the parts manufacturer and ask. I would start with a memory test first using something like Ultimate Boot CD to test the RAM. Graphic glitch could be a driver issue (fault with the driver code) but I would look into the case's airflow just in case.
Old April 4, 2014, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you left all of the settings at stock, or have you done any tweaking to hardware settings (i.e. overclocking your CPU)?

The best thing to do is to step by step test each part. Run some tests like intel burn test to stress your CPU and see if it gives you any errors (and keep an eye on the temperatures), windows has a built in memory diagnostic tool that you can run at startup to test your RAM, I am not familiar with power supply testing but there are some tools online for this as well.

Basically you want to load up 1 component at a time and see if it gives you a problem. 75 degrees on the GPU is nothing to worry about. And update your windows 7.... that's just foolish to not update it!!!!!!

You are definitely having an abnormal performance and should figure out and RMA that part ASAP before it does any damage to other components. If you can't seem to find a problem with memory, CPU, PSU, or GPU, then it might be your motherboard :(
Old April 4, 2014, 10:28 AM
Rookie

Everything is on stock settings i didnt overclock anything yet. I dont think it would be something with the cpu im afraid its either GPU or PSU or even both.. but then again im not an expert with hardware. Im going to try older GPU drivers to see if that could be the problem for graphic glitches. Like iv said temperatures should be fine i have watched the GPU temperature and CPU while gaming on my second monitor. What makes me wonder is why do i hear the buzzing sound only while playing a game and i hear it coming from the PSU i dont hear it in my headphones.

I will try what u guys suggested. thanks for your time so far.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you absolutely sure it's coming from the PSU and not the graphics card? Coil whine is fairly common from graphics cards.

If it's definitely coming from the PSU it's happening when the load increases (gaming is one of the biggest loads you can put on your PC). If you're within 30 days I'd return it. The PSU may be the cause of your other problems.
Old April 4, 2014, 11:22 AM
Rookie

I was quite sure its the PSU but just to be 200% sure i will check it tomorow again. I tested the RAM with the windows diagnostic tool and it seems to be OK. i also downloaded a software OCCT but i have no idea what numbers are ok and what not. all i can see there are the temperatures.. Wish i had a spare PSU to test swapping it. I also downloaded a bluescreen reader to check what the bluescreens were but i cant really tell anything from that..
Old April 5, 2014, 07:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is really silly but is this noise perhaps the video card fan? Coil whine is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

I wouldn't call it a buzzing. It's an annoying robotic high pitched noise! If it's a buzzing noise there could be an obstruction in your PSU's fan. Something tiny and very easy to fix. Coil whine is unfixable.

In response to your blue screens: your temps are really good! 75 at load for a volcano..erm.. i mean r9 is fine. If you don't like it running that hot, download trixx or msi afterburner (which is better than trixx) and make some custom fan profiles.

The blue screens could be software. You say it's win7 no sp. Does that mean you haven't updated it? I hope this is the issue as software fixes are fast and free!

Since you built the system yourself you need to be able to install chipset drivers. These are the drivers for your actual motherboard. Keep them up to date like you would any other driver. And keep windows updated as well.

Install "CCleaner", "Malwarebytes" and the microsoft windows defender antivirus, and if you're really keen on protection "spybot search and destroy". Run the free versions of all these programs, you just have to update them manually and you get full coverage.

Even with everything up to date you can still get the odd crash.