Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2014, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ASUS xonar essence STX barely audiable

I don't know exactly what event triggered the problem with my sound card, but now when I crank everything up to 100% I can barely hear the audio coming out of my devices hooked up to the sound card. Before 25% was louder than I like. I tried re-installing the latest version of the software/drivers.

I have moved it from the PCIe x16 to the PCIe x4 slot on the motherboard and have not tested it in the x16 slot again as I no longer have the room in my case to use that slot.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my onboard audio on the motherboard is 100% working with good volumes.

Last edited by draemn; April 2, 2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old April 2, 2014, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This card requires external power, correct? Have you confirmed that the power is plugged in? (Also check the PSU side if it's modular.)

If that doesn't work, swapping it to a different PCIe slot may have caused an issue with the hardware detection in the driver. Try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the driver again.
Old April 2, 2014, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As stated in the OP, I cannot use any other PCIe slots anymore in my computer and I have tried re-installing. I do have the power plugged in and no warning when I start my computer about it not having power. I will double check that none of the molex pins have made a weak/poor connection.

Edit: I temporarily managed to get it into the PCIe x16 slot it used to live in and the problem is still there.

Last edited by draemn; April 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old April 2, 2014, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry, I didn't notice the driver reinstall comment in the OP.

Have you checked the Windows audio device settings to ensure the correct device is flagged for output and that the output levels are at a reasonable level? Also check the levels in the ASUS software. Although these would be odd to not reset after a complete uninstall/reinstall.

I still come back to it likely being a power issue though. Sound amplification for the ASUS cards is driven by the power lead from the PSU. If you're booting and the card is working, then the motherboard connection and the processing portion of the card is working fine. So it comes down to amplification issues either because you have a level or volume setting turned down somewhere, or because the appropriate power isn't getting to the card.
Old April 2, 2014, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Edit: I installed the sound card in a "new build" all different parts and it does not work properly. Sound cranked to 100% is barely audible. New everything...

Last edited by draemn; April 2, 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old April 2, 2014, 07:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

i suggest if your have not already to take out the card and remove the emi shield, check for any damage. Post a pic if you can of the pcb.
Old April 2, 2014, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am going to contact memory express as this card is still under IRP.
Old April 2, 2014, 10:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

is the Analog out set to correct settings in the asus control panel? I'm on my laptop, but i believe it should be set to headphone which it isn't by default, at least not in my case.
Old April 3, 2014, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Edit: I installed the sound card in a "new build" all different parts and it does not work properly. Sound cranked to 100% is barely audible. New everything...
It sounds like the card is defective. Very likely the damage is to the power connection port on the card. Contacting the retailer or manufacturer for an RMA is likely the best bet.
Old April 3, 2014, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for trying to help everyone. I'll start with my IRP through memEx and most likely they'll let me painlessly return it.