Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2014, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Something strange with laptop keyboard ( shift+ some of the keys)

I have been noticing for the last few days that something strange going on with this older compaq laptop keyboard
I checked in the windows keyboard setup and it is set to US keyboard
I will give you and example I am going to do the shiftkey plus all of the number keys from 1-0 to show what I mean here
ok this is 1!( normal), 2"( not normal should be at 3/( should be pound),4$ ( coreect) 5%( correct) 6?( not correct),7& (correct), 8* ( correct) 9( correct 0) correct
can someone tell me what is going onÉ well that was supposed to be a question mark so it appears that it is more then the number keys
Old April 2, 2014, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm it seems to have fix it self, I had to shutdown unplug both the power cord and the battery press the power button then plug in everything
Old April 2, 2014, 03:12 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Default Same problem

Not sure what the problem is but my Asus work laptop does the same thing every now and then and the only way to correct it is to power off and restart. It's almost like it's mixing a French letter set and other strange characters together. Curious too.
Old April 3, 2014, 07:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Same here instead it's my desktop, Windows seem to put the French Canadian keyboard layout for some random reason even if you didn't install it. It usually happens when I play BF4 and instead of ? I get É like if it switched during the game. So it's still a problem but very rare to execute the bug (I imagine it's a bug)
Old April 3, 2014, 08:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If I remember correctly, having your location set as Canada automatically sets a French-Canadian keyboard layout as an option. Hitting a particular keyboard combo (Ctrl-Shift, IIRC) switches keyboard layouts.

It's possible to hit the combo by accident - I know I've done it several times.
HTPC: Pentium G3420, MSI H81i, 4GB G-Skill DDR3 1333, GeForce 650, 400GB Recertified Seagate, 1TB WD Caviar Green, 750GB WD Caviar Blue 2.5", Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, Windows 7 x64, 32" Seiki LCD TV, Panasonic SA-HE75 5.1 Reciever
9x Gamer: eMachines eOne - 433 Mhz Celeron, 64 MB RAM, 8MB ATI Rage XL, 6GB HDD, Windows 98se
9x Gamer #2: 500 Mhz Pentium III, 512MB Ram, nVidia Geforce 5600, 20GB HDD, Windows ME
Old April 3, 2014, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHN91 View Post
If I remember correctly, having your location set as Canada automatically sets a French-Canadian keyboard layout as an option. Hitting a particular keyboard combo (Ctrl-Shift, IIRC) switches keyboard layouts.

It's possible to hit the combo by accident - I know I've done it several times.
That is whAt I am thinking because I used to have this happen allot when I used the Canadian keyboard setup , but on this install I used US setup but the Canadian -8 Timezone and when I went to check ( after this happened to me) and make sure that the keyboard was setup for US it also has the Canadian Multicultural keyboard and some other keyboard on the list which I removed so that it was only the US keyboard tha tis when I rebooted a couple of times which didn't fix the problem so I ten shut down pulled the batter pressed to power button to removed and leftover electricity in the caps then plugged everything back in and it corrected it self