Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2014, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What is wrong?

I have an older system, with an Atthlon II X3 450 that has started to reboot out of the blue. I have 4x2GB RAM on it, a Radeon HD 5770HD, 120GB SATA II SSD, a Mushkin one. The system has started to reboot randomly, what it looks like is the image corrupts and the system restarts. I installed NFS Rivals on it and played briefly the training part, but with frequent issues with the sound, sound is stumbling sometimes and the voice repeat itself 3-4 times.
Originally I suspected my SSD as I was getting messages that Windows was not able to load: I disconneted the sata cable the power cable from it, put them back, but no go, it rebooted the next time I tried to power it on.
I did a full Windows reinstall yesterday morning, but the issue started to happen yesterday evening as well, just after accessing utorrent for example. There were no huge torrents to check, as I am downloadig JAG now and it has 76 GB. The torrent download directory is not on the SSD but on an additional 300GB WD drive. The system is not overcklocked at all, I dialed back to factory defaults all the settings after having it unlcked to 4th core and apply a 10% ovc.
Any ideas?
Next step I would take out the GPU and run on the IGP alone see what happens, IGP is AMD 780G.
Old March 1, 2014, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

remove MB from case and try on cardboard box if still reboots

then remove hardware till it stops if are getting no BSOD messages
Old March 5, 2014, 06:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, some additional issues : the SATA ports 5 and 6 sometimes do not appear in BIOS at all and I think my SSD was installed on one of them. So I moved everything on the SATA ports 1 2 and 3, put a Crucial M4 SSD on it and installed windows from zero. Will keep updated if more issues arise
Old March 5, 2014, 07:06 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sounds like your southbridge is going.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes, seems like it. Worst case scenario installing a sata card would solve the issue, at least for storage. But I guess I should be looking at another motherboard?
Old March 5, 2014, 09:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

In the short term a SATA card should work since the 780G's Northbridge controls the PCI-E 2.0 interface.

HOWEVER, remember that the standard PCI slots are still controlled by your possibly wonky Southbridge.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:03 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I'd open up the power supply and take a look at the capacitors.
Old March 5, 2014, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok, so pci express expansion card. good to know. psu is brand new. it powers a radeon 5770hd and did not have an issue while gaming.
Old March 5, 2014, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
ok, so pci express expansion card. good to know. psu is brand new. it powers a radeon 5770hd and did not have an issue while gaming.
Be warned SATA expansion cards do NOT all have the ability to be booted from. Some are just dummy cards that allow for extra sata ports into the system while others can have a bios to allowing booting of drives.

Generally the ones with a "bios" are going to cost more.
Old March 6, 2014, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thx, i have been using bootable sata cards for some time now. I would actually say that the non bootable one are rarer than the bootable ones. Among the ones I used so far are Syba cards equipped with Silicon Image 3124 and 3132 chipsets, the Asus U3S6 with Marvell chipset and a LSI SAS 3041E-R. I know storage controllers.