Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2014, 08:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default PCI-e Sound Card with Crossfire?

Hi guys,
I'm trying to install a sound card on my rig, but when I do, I get no display when I try to boot. Here are the pertinent parts of my set up.

Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H motherboard
I5 3570k CPU
2x 7970 HD video cards
16 GB Ripjaws RAM
850w CoolerMaster power supply
Asus Xonar DGX PCI-e sound card

I've seen a couple of threads over on Tom's saying that 1155 sockets only have 16 PCIe lanes, so would that make it impossible to run a PCI-e soundcard with a Crossfire setup on this motherboard?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I should mention that I tried the sound card in every available PCI-e x1 and the PCI-e x4 slots, same result.
Old January 25, 2014, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Could try single gpu plus sound card to rule out Pci-e issues.
Old January 26, 2014, 03:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

IMHO get a home theater receiver for sound via fiber-optic from motherboard unless you want the headphone amp on the Asus

GA-Z77X-UD3H
VIA VT2021 chip codec, High Definition Audio, 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel, Support for S/PDIF Out
On the software side, CMI-8768 series supports Cmedia Xear Living and Cmedia Xear Voice with Windows Drivers.

Asus Xonar DGX
CMI8768 chip in the world which provide 8 channel output with upto 48K / 16 bit. Beside basic I/O supports, CMI8768+ supports Dolby Digital Live 5.1 (AC-3) real-time interactive content encoder.
Dolby Digital Live encodes all digital audio sources on PC such as 3D game audio, VCD, MP3, WMA, Internet radio into 5.1CH Dolby Digital stream
transmitted via consumer standard S/PDIF link to external decoder/receiver and even Home Theater system.
With Dolby Digital Live encoder feature, users can easily connect PC audio to consumer sound system by S/PDIF interface.
It realizes Digital Home Entertainment PC in the living room.
Special Features:
Smart Volume Normalizer™
Xear 3D™ Virtual Speaker Shifter
Magic Voice™
Karaoke Functions
FlexBass™
10 -band Equalizer
27 Environment Effects
GX2.5 Gaming Audio Engine
VocalFX™
Old January 26, 2014, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

I believe that's correct actually, 16 lanes max for 1155 unless your motherboard has added a chip. Though in all technicality, you could do an 8x, 4x, 4x configuration, it would depend on how your motherboard likes that. Maybe a BIOS update might get it to work? -But end story is, you're lacking lanes in a cpu only configuration.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z77X-UD3H (rev. 1.0)

according to the spec page, it does look like there's a second set of lanes in there, 4x, PCIe2.0 - Indeed, as above, try booting out of crossfire and see if your card works, I'd also try a BIOS update, because from what that page is telling me, you should have the lanes available.

Tags
crossfire , motherboard , pci-e , sound card