Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2013, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Default Switched from AMD to Nvidia, uninstalled drivers, Nvidia card doesn't show anything o

Hey everyone. So here's the setup.

I have a Radeon HD 6950 1GB

I upgraded to a GeForce GTX 760 Hawk 2GB

My Radeon 6950 HD works fine. I swapped the cards without uninstalled the drivers first. Apparently people have problems if they don't uninstall drivers first, so I did that, also ran driver sweeper to help clean leftover files.

Now I am running my 760 Hawk. PC boots, no beeps, fans work, the problem is, nothing shows on my screen. Tried HDMI, DVI, AND Display Port (I have 3 monitors), none work.

I have no other PC nearby and no one around me I know with a PC. I don't know if the card is dead or if it's a driver issue.

I'm trying to install the Nvidia drivers, but since the PC doesn't boot when the card is installed, I have to take the card outta the slot, and thus cannot install the Nvidia drivers.

I was going to run integrated graphics and install the driver on the card while user iGPU, but I can't because when the card is plugged in, iGPU doesn't work even though HDMI cable is in the motherboards port for the iGPU.

Please help me out here folks? Any way for me to force the iGPU to kick in instead of the Nvidia card so I can try installing Nvidia drivers first?
Old December 6, 2013, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try this:

1) put the AMD card back in (if you have it) and see if you get an output on your monitor. If that works, high chances that there is something wrong with the 760.
2) If you can get into BIOS settings, make sure you set it to run in dGPU mode on the PCIe slot that you install your GPU in.

I had some problems a while back with black screens even though the video card would power up and fans would come on and it just ended up being problems with my settings in the BIOS. I can tell you that having drivers installed or not will have no impact on your issue. All that happens when you don't install the drivers is you still get an image but at very low resolution and can't do too much graphical with your computer until the drivers are installed.

If you can't the screen to display the BIOS when you try to get in, you might need to remove the graphics card and reset your CMOS and start it without a dGPU installed. I'm 93.7% certain you can install the graphics drivers without having a graphics card installed.
Old December 7, 2013, 05:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Drivers or lack of drivers will not affect the ability to view basic video. Did you try a different PCIe power connector? The only other thing I'd try would be a CMOS reset, but that's pretty much a hail Mary pass.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 7, 2013, 06:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

+1 SS
yes a bios reset read your motherboard manual ...before doing drain power by hitting start button with power cord removed
Old December 7, 2013, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes I totally agree drivers don't matter for just basic video, make sure the power is connected to the card try both DVI outputs to your monitor if that make no difference reset bios like KaptCrunch explained above me .