Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2013, 07:32 PM
MVP

Default Laptop Question: Beeping like ?

So I rescued a Gateway NV79 from being trashed at a buddy's place - had some broken keys on it, but a nice 17 inch screen, and it is i7 with 8 gigs of ram, has a radeon so I figured what the heck, I will play around at fixing it. Got it home, boots up, but beeping like a mofo! Beeps loud, right through the whole boot cycle, then stops. Works as normal. So....got a new keyboard out of Singapore for 18 bux shipped, installed it, great, the keyboard works (funky with those keyboards, your @ is actually not shown, but it still is the shift and 2 key) anyway, but still beeping like hell the whole boot sequence. So normally I would swap the cmos battery for a start, but you have to take the mother all the way down to a pile of parts to do that. So, any other ideas? Can a laptop guy here tell me how to clear the cmos, maybe without having to pull the screen, keyboard, drives, ram, and whole dam thing?
Or maybe I'm just missing something obvious that I should be trying. I'm no expert, but not afraid to try - no risk as the machine was free. Hell the two 500 gig hard drives alone were worth bringing it home.
Ideas?
Old December 4, 2013, 08:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

mine has been doing the same thing on occasion and i found this:Computer POST and beep codes
Old December 4, 2013, 09:33 PM
MVP

Thanks - this is weird but it just keeps beeping, more than 20 beeps, unless I touch the power button again. then it gives one more beep and goes into "normal" mode - does everything I want until time to start it again, when it goes crazy with the beeps!