Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2013, 07:11 PM
Top Prospect

Default Best place for Drivers

I wanted to ask this question because last few weeks I was having major bsod playing bf4 and thought it had to do with my headset drivers. However I was starting to get bsod with ndis.sys and after researching it shows it points to networking. I went on the Gigabyte website looking for drivers and made sure I had the right one which I did from 2012 but i was still crashing. I went on the Realtek website and found a later version for 2013 which so far has fixed my issue.

Why doesn't Gigabyte update their website for the drivers? Should be looking at all my other drivers on the actual manufacture websites? Just seemed odd, I mean people who dont know computers that much might have a rough experience.
Old December 3, 2013, 09:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

An old driver isn't necessarily a bad thing. The manufacturers use the most recent files they have at the time the board is in production. They often make specific changes that are based on their implementation of a particular chip or motherboard so it's usually best to stick with what they provide.

I wouldn't advise switching your entire system over to newer reference drivers if everything else is working correctly now. Changing drivers is best left to when you know yours has a specific documented issue and the ones that you're upgrading to are notated as solving that issue. Such as when ATI and NVidia released day one BF3 drivers or you need a specific version for something like Maya or newly purchased hardware.
Old December 4, 2013, 05:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I find Gigabyte and MSI to be behind the ball when it comes to driver updates on their respective sites. ASUS is by far the best and, believe it or not, ASRock is pretty good too.
Old December 4, 2013, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I find Gigabyte and MSI to be behind the ball when it comes to driver updates on their respective sites. ASUS is by far the best and, believe it or not, ASRock is pretty good too.
Iv heard ASRock is really underrated.

I did do the system file checker in command prompt which could have fixed my issue but I have the latest driver anyways. Basically it's just the waiting game atm.
Might have to keep those two companies in mind when I'm upgrade to am3+
Old December 4, 2013, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wouldn't touch an asrock board with a 10 foot dildo.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 5, 2013, 05:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I didn't know those existed......
Old December 5, 2013, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

...something something....PERINIUM'S MOM...something...something.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old December 5, 2013, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

.... that wasn't a long wait at all ....
Old December 5, 2013, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
I wanted to ask this question because last few weeks I was having major bsod playing bf4 and thought it had to do with my headset drivers. However I was starting to get bsod with ndis.sys and after researching it shows it points to networking. I went on the Gigabyte website looking for drivers and made sure I had the right one which I did from 2012 but i was still crashing. I went on the Realtek website and found a later version for 2013 which so far has fixed my issue.

Why doesn't Gigabyte update their website for the drivers? Should be looking at all my other drivers on the actual manufacture websites? Just seemed odd, I mean people who don't know computers that much might have a rough experience.
I think that most of the sites that provide hardware parts are always behind the only time I ever use the hardware software like gigabyte or which ever) is say if my I cannot access the net so I will use the disk that came with the board so I can access the web then update to the newest chip set I can find on line
Old December 6, 2013, 09:03 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

ASrock is the Asus value brand.