Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2013, 12:48 AM
MVP

Default Give me da intanetz!!

Ok just got a new router as my 7 year old wireless G router was getting old in the tooth. But now I can't connect to the internet.

The router in question is a D-Link DIR-865L and it's hooked up to a ZHONE 6211-I3-200 ADSL Modem / Router (ISP: Distributel)

Setting my old D-Link router with DHCP protocol works flawlessly but not with the new one. After contacting D-Link they think (and I rather agree with them) that both the modem and the router each having their own NAT features are trying to assign private IPs for devices on the network causing the conflict.

What the D-Link tech guy said was to put the modem in bridge mode (but I can't figure out how to do that, calling Distributel, their techs tell me to add the router's IP as the DMZ host instead).

After about 4-5 hours of mostly waiting on hold I got fed up and decided to come here to see if there was anyone more knowledgeable about the issue (I myself being a total networking noob). TL;DR does anyone know how to either set the ZHONE 6211-I3-200 ADSL Modem / Router in bridge mode or where I could find what IP I need to put as the DMZ Host on the modem to route NAT functionality over to the router?
Old December 2, 2013, 12:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That correct Bridge mode...I just got a new Shaw Modem / Router Combo....called shaw and had them switch it to Bridge Mode (Modem Only), so I can use my original Router. The built Router part of the Shaw Box sucks...no range and wouldnt find my wired PC Media.

Old December 2, 2013, 01:01 AM
MVP

The distributel rep claims he can't switch it to bridge mode (I know, both I and the D-Link rep have our doubts about this claim but unless someone knows how to do this manually from the modem's config page this isn't going to happen)

Edit: managed to get the modem into bridged mode using literally the most unintuitive UI + manual ever

Now it actually works but the internet connection is extremely spotty, keep losing and recovering internet access every 30 seconds or so, even over wired gigabit connection (never had this problem before with the old router).

I don't think its a hardware problem either cause setting the router (not modem) and using it just as a pass-through for wired access from my desktop to the modem (no wireless as bridge mode on the router inherently means no wifi) had flawless internet...

Edit 2: Enabling QoS seems to have fixed the issue, problem solved!

Last edited by BrutalGreen; December 2, 2013 at 02:53 AM.