Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2013, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Bluescreen hell

Ok, so I am getting 2 different bluescreens. The first BSOD is 0x00000124 and that comes up and stops me from getting into windows at all. I have tried last know good configuration, safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc. I have also tried to launch startup repair but it does not run so I thought I will boot from a USB windows 7 stick.

This is when I ran into the other BSOD. Whenever I try to boot to my win 7 usb, I get a BSOD, 0x000000c9. So I then tried booting to a seperate windows 7 DVD and then I got the same BSOD.

Now everything I have seen about BSOD 124 is that it is most likely related to hardware. Because of this I have already reset the BIOS, got rid of the OC, and have removed all my ram and tried know good stuff. Still no difference. So at this point I am thinking that it could easily be my mobo or cpu, but now I have been thrown another curve.

I am currently typing this using a mini XP booted off of a USB. Not sure why I can boot to it yet I get a blue screen when trying to boot to a simple windows 7 disk.

Anyone got any ideas? I do have a cpu and motherboard here that I can use to swap, but I would rather test everything else first before having to deal with swapping those.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have already tried another drive as well, and my drive worked fine and booted right up in an almost identical system earlier today.

Last edited by ipaine; November 28, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old November 28, 2013, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hiren"s Boot

Dounlaod and burn an ISO

They now have it on a USB bootable version also

Try them both / lots of secret tools in there careful what you play with.

Edit : clarity
Hiren's BootCD 15.2
Old November 28, 2013, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Got it and so far nothing is helping. Everything tests fine. I guess what has me really confused is that I am here in a mini XP without any issue, yet when trying to boot to a windows 7 disk I get a bluescreen. I mean if I can boot to a USB mini XP why not to a USB or DVD based windows 7 disk.

If I could then I would most likely just do a wipe and reinstall to see if it works then, or a system restore or something like that.

Old November 28, 2013, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Malwarebyts ? Spybot search and destoy ? combofix ? Dr Web ? AVG free ?

Run all these fist sounds like a virus or a hack or that sort off thing.

Find it fist then back up all you can then wipe and reload.

Just played this game on two computers here in the last month.

any media that has touched the infected computer is suspect till proven innocent.

Take it off line till its fixed no wireless no wire.

Have Fun :) \
Old November 28, 2013, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your missing something, I can boot up without issue when putting my drive into another almost identical machine (slightly different mobo). It boots up right away and has no issues. That was the biggest thing that has led me to believe hardware. I am just trying to figure out why I could even get into a USB loaded mini XP, when I couldn't get to a windows 7 DVD or usb.

Old November 28, 2013, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^If you put that same W7 Drive into another System with no issues, then wouldnt it be safe to rule out the OS or Virus? I had some crazy BSOD issues a month or so ago running FC3 with my 4.9 OC....rolled my OC back to both 4.8 and 4.7 and still got BSOD's, did a fair bit of research and found the same as you, possibly Hardware related, as in CPU.
Anyhow, tried a windows rollback to earlier date and all is good.....perhaps your CPU if you've ruled out RAM, did you try with a single GPU?

Old November 28, 2013, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have tried it with a single gpu as well. Also I noticed that I went all dyslexic and said that the error I got when I tried to run windows 7 setup from dvd or usb was c9 when it was 9c.

Damn getting tired. At least there is a 4770k and asus board bundle on sale at mem express tomorrow. Also very interesting is that I noticed that the q code on my board showed FF when I was using the miniXP. Normally it would show A0, not FF, when it is running right. Time for a coffee and snack break then the real tear down and try a known good cpu. Unless I can think of anything else to do before that.

I wanted to be able to boot to the windows 7 disk so that I could try a system restore back a few days. Hmmm, I could use my acronis back up and go back, I will have to see if I can boot to it.

Update: I have the answer, it is the CPU. I tried the other known good one I borrowed and right away it booted up. Of course that is really the worst outcome as it was a 2600K and that is 1155 and I don't really want to pay for a 3xxx series chip. But if not then it means all new board and chip. ARRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ipaine; November 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old November 29, 2013, 07:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Ok, so I am getting 2 different bluescreens. The first BSOD is 0x00000124
AFAIK that means you need more vcore.
Old November 29, 2013, 08:36 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I had a similar problem a couple of months back, turns of the PSU had bad capacitors in it.
Old November 29, 2013, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would d try the usb or cd or dvd boot memtest and run that for awhile then I would load up FAH to stress test everything else like cpu psu and gpu