Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2013, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Crimp tool - am I doing something wrong?

Hey guys, I am using a crimper for the first time, but it doesn't seem to be curling the wings for the insulation grip very well. Am I doing something wrong? This crimper was purchased from an online store that custom-mills it to be able to handle 16AWG wire.

Half of the time the insulation grip crimp breaks off, or has a strange sharp edge to it (one side is better than the other).

Crimper - YouTube
Old November 26, 2013, 09:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have crimpers from MDPC and a 3 head from moddiy they both work well although I definately prefer the 3 head from Moddiy . I ran into the same problem with some pins and what I found was that the insulation wings on some makes of pins were too long. What I did was cut about 1/32 off each wing depending on the wire size I was using and that corrected my problem, perfect crimps after that discovery
Old November 27, 2013, 05:30 PM

My System Specs

Are they Lutro0 modified crimpers? It is really hard to see the crimp in the video. Can you post a picture of how the crimp is seated in the crimper prior to crimping and a picture of a crimp after it is crimped on a cable?
Old November 27, 2013, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

yes those connectors are for wire insulation is bigger DIA then wire

as Scruff discovered trim for perfect crimp
Old November 28, 2013, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@lowfat, yes it's the LC crimp tool. He recommended that I shift the bottom die, but I didn't have any luck last night.

As you can see from the pics, it's not curling it well even with the terminal alone. I'll try to take a pic of the terminal in the tool, it'll have to be at one ratchet click since I only have two hands
Old November 28, 2013, 07:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You have the same problem I had , it looks like the terminal twists just a little in the crimper , try trimming the insulation wings just a little bit and I'll bet it works just fine for you . Or buy teminals with the shorter wings . That length of wings would be fine for a double wire crimp but too long for a single wire , as you can see in the pics they are curling right around in a circle .

Last edited by scruff; November 28, 2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: adding to post
Old November 28, 2013, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, I'll try trimming the wings tonight after trying to shift the die again. I took a series of pics to show the seller the alignment of the die, but I am thinking it has something to do with the shape of the curve in the custom milling.

That'll teach me to overkill and use 16AWG. I was modding some server PSUs for cheap powa and now I know it's wayy to thick. Only managed to stuff in enough wires for one pair of GPU connectors :( Next order will be 18AWG.
Old November 29, 2013, 11:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Really have to recommend the tool from Daz. will do 16AWG if you're careful.

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...imping-pliers/
Old November 30, 2013, 12:27 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Thanks, I'll try trimming the wings tonight after trying to shift the die again. I took a series of pics to show the seller the alignment of the die, but I am thinking it has something to do with the shape of the curve in the custom milling.

That'll teach me to overkill and use 16AWG. I was modding some server PSUs for cheap powa and now I know it's wayy to thick. Only managed to stuff in enough wires for one pair of GPU connectors :( Next order will be 18AWG.
Do you have a Princess Auto nearby? Their 18AWG wire is perfect. $14-$16 for 100 feet IIRC.
Old November 30, 2013, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They told me they'll ship me another bottom die, hopefully it will work much better.

There is a Princess Auto about 20km from me, I'll have to stop in and buy some cheaper wire!

I ended up doing a bit of research and it is said that 18AWG can handle 12V 30A @ 3 FEET, so I ended up splicing my 16AWG wires into a Y just a few inches past the connection to the PSU.
Now powering a quad-GPU rig with a Seasonic X660 and a free 650W 80Plus Gold screaming server PSU :D