Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2013, 04:23 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Playing MMO causes my connection to drop.

This is a strange one to me.

When I'm playing LOTRO I can play fine but if I alt tab or exit the game I find the connection has dropped. I could've kept playing so the connection is actually up but it isn't... :p

Now I say I could've kept playing but after some time in game it will eventually freeze and force me to kill it but the connection is down then as well.

It usually takes about 2 minutes after killing the game for the connection to come back.

It almost seems that after playing for 5-10 minutes the game grabs exclusive access to the communications and the game will continue to function fine (with access) until I reach some point where the game dies after 30-60 minutes.

I don't understand it but it has happened a couple dozen times since I installed the game expansion a few days ago and the error is consistent. I tried updating Win 7 and I also installed an Intel NIC but neither had an impact and I really don't know what to try.

I haven't seen anyone else with this problem so I might delete the game and reinstall.

Any ideas because I don't really know what could cause this sort of "communications grab".
(my rig is in the System Specs tab)

Last edited by JayDeeHobbit; November 24, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old November 24, 2013, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

What is your connection.
What is your router being used if being used?
Old November 24, 2013, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

defrag drives?
Old November 24, 2013, 07:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

"It almost seems that after playing for 5-10 minutes the game grabs exclusive access to the communications and the game will continue to function fine (with access) until I reach some point where the game dies after 30-60 minutes."

Your mother board says it supports the following which is pretty much what you've stated it's doing. Once LOTRO has control it doesn't want to give it back / Windows as to wait for some sort of priority switching to occur.

Network iControl
Real-time Network Bandwidth Control
With a single-click on/off button, the application currently in use has its data and network bandwidth prioritized over other programs. Moreover, you can prioritize your favorite software easily by configuring profiles through the intuitive user interface.

I would check your Network Card Drivers and see what's up.
Old November 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using Rogers cable extreme package and cable modem.
The problem should be restricted to LOTRO as I don't have a problem with anything else.

I'm using the Intel NIC now and have the same problem as when connected to the mobo.

It is probably something introduced into the game with the new expansion but it is strange that the game will continue to have communication access while restricting everything else.