Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2013, 12:10 AM
Rookie

Unhappy AMD Motherboard Only Runs RAM In Single-Channel & Windows Only Detects 4GB

Hello, I'm having issues with my RAM in my new motherboard (ASrock 990FX Extreme4), with it only running in single-channel, and Windows only detecting half of what's there.

First of all, I had a 2 x 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill memory kit (F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR) with a Biostar A870U3 motherboard. It would not run in dual-channel, because only the A1 and B1 slots worked, however Windows did recognize all 8gb in single-channel.

Now I got a new ASrock 990FX Extreme4, and the G.Skill ram not only would not run in single channel, but windows only detected 4gb (While the uefi and CPU-Z detects all 8gb). I thought it was a problem the motherboard, so I ordered an RMA and got a replacement, but the replacement has the exact same issues.

So then I thought it was an issue with the ram, so I bought a new Corsair 2 x 4gb 1600mhz ram kit (CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R), and I am still having the exact same issues, with being stuck in single-channel and windows only detecting 4gb (and again, the uefi and CPU-Z detecting all 8gb). On top of that, despite the motherboard detecting the XMP profile to run in the rated speeds and latencies, it will only run the memory at 1333mhz with a CAS latency of 9, when it should run at 1600mhz with a CAS latency of 7. Even if I manually change it, it will not run higher than 1333mhz at cas 9.

I have tested all DIMM slots on the motherboard and they all work properly. I have cleared the cmos many times, and I have tweaked with the RAM settings in the uefi but nothing will fix the issues. Also the motherboard runs ram in unganged mode by default, but if I try to switch it to "Auto", then the computer will not boot, but Ganged mode does work with one RAM chip in, not both. I am not running a 32-bit version of windows, which I know has a max amount of ram to 4gb.

The only solution I can think of is sending back the replacement and just getting a different motherboard entirely (I was thinking of the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0).

I will list my entire computer specs below. Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all very much.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
Motherboard: ASrock 990FX Extreme4
RAM: Corsair 2x4gb 1600Mhz (CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1GB (Using two monitors, both 1366x768), and GT 520 as Dedicated PhsyX
Storage: Various hard drives, Windows 7 installed on a 1tb Seagate HDD
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence ST (PCI)
PSU: Coolmax 900w ZU-900B (80+ Bronze)
Case: NZXT Phantom
Old November 24, 2013, 02:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

sounds like a bios update to me man.

ASRock > 990FX Extreme4
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 24, 2013, 04:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
sounds like a bios update to me man.

ASRock > 990FX Extreme4
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already updated the bios to the latest (2.50) and nothing has changed.
Old November 24, 2013, 04:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah I got nothing. I was thinking it had something to do with slots being used or one of the sticks of ram, but it sounds like you have that covered. XMP doesn't work with AMD as far as I know so you have to manually adjust.

Bios update maybe.
Otherwise a compatibility issue with the mob/ CPU combo and dual channel is about all I can think of.
Old November 24, 2013, 04:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

XMP functionality depends on the board.

As to the issue at hand, you've tried multiple motherboards, and multiple memory sets which (IMO) leaves the processor's internal memory controller as the culprit.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 24, 2013, 05:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Yeah I got nothing. I was thinking it had something to do with slots being used or one of the sticks of ram, but it sounds like you have that covered. XMP doesn't work with AMD as far as I know so you have to manually adjust.

Bios update maybe.
Otherwise a compatibility issue with the mob/ CPU combo and dual channel is about all I can think of.
Yeah, I know none of the dimm slots or ram sticks are defective, so it must be an issue with the cpu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
XMP functionality depends on the board.

As to the issue at hand, you've tried multiple motherboards, and multiple memory sets which (IMO) leaves the processor's internal memory controller as the culprit.
That is what I was starting to think, because I have discovered that if I put both RAM sticks in the first 2 DIMM slots (A1 and B1), the the memory runs at their proper speeds (1600mhz at cas 7), and 8162mb is free for Windows to use. This is rather peculiar because only A1 and B1 slots on my old motherboard would work too, so I'm starting to think it may be a problem with the memory controller on the CPU, and getting a new CPU will fix the issue. Thank you for the suggestion(s) and insight!
Old November 25, 2013, 10:45 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Did you try upping the ram voltage a bit? (it's been a while since I ran AMD but the last one I had I had to overvolt the ram to get it to work right.
Old November 25, 2013, 12:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Which DDR3 slots are you using. You should have 2 White / 2 Blue alternating in color. I'd try both sticks in the White slots.
Also your DIMM Voltage is probably set to AUTO. You may want to set it to 1.5v that memory you have was built with Sandy Bridge in mind.

Your timings from Corsair.
1600MHz, 7-8-8-24, 1.5V
Old November 26, 2013, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciro View Post
Yeah, I know none of the dimm slots or ram sticks are defective, so it must be an issue with the cpu.

That is what I was starting to think, because I have discovered that if I put both RAM sticks in the first 2 DIMM slots (A1 and B1), the the memory runs at their proper speeds (1600mhz at cas 7), and 8162mb is free for Windows to use. This is rather peculiar because only A1 and B1 slots on my old motherboard would work too, so I'm starting to think it may be a problem with the memory controller on the CPU, and getting a new CPU will fix the issue. Thank you for the suggestion(s) and insight!

remove cpu an look for a bent pin in socket is other issue

first try cpu on known good mb to validate

Tags
amd , memory , ram , single-channel