Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2013, 08:33 PM
Top Prospect

Default DJ Controller Unrecognized USB Device

I recently built my first desktop in a while. Its main purpose is to replace my aging laptop as I get more involved with DJing and other audio processing stuff.
Of course it doesn't go smoothly - my DJ controller, a Hercules RMX, is not recognized by Windows. Dammit, Murphy

It connects to the PC via USB, and whenever I hook it up I get an error message that reads "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...". The lights on the device continuously flash blue, which is a sign that it has power but doesn't know what the computer wants it to do.

I have posted this question on the Hercules website here: RMX not recognized in Windows 7. However, the one guy helping me replies at a certain time of day when I'm at work, so we have one-message-per-day communication and it's frustrating.

My question to you guys isn't so much about the device (although if you have a Hercules RMX that'd be awesome!) but ways I can go about troubleshooting. Here are some things to note:
  • The RMX continues to work on my laptop which is also running Win7 x64 (the same ISO).
  • This is (supposedly) a pre-driver issue. Windows must "accept" the device before we even get to the discussion of the drivers (which I've installed BTW, and no go).
  • I've got Win7 x64, SP1, all the latest updates and motherboard firmware.
  • MSI Z87M-G43... I haven't updated the BIOS or anything and not sure if something new is even available.
  • I've tried ALL the USB ports on the PC. I've also unplugged all other USB devices including the mouse and keyboard when trying this. At one point I got the message "drivers installed successfully" which should not come up. However, the lights kept flashing and the Hercules utility did not recognize any attached Hercules devices. In short, it was a fluke - I think - but it happened twice.
  • All other USB devices function perfectly fine.
I have no idea what to even do with the computer if not the musical stuff. It's basically a $600 sitting duck until I get the controller working. I am posting this here because the issue might be out of the scope of the Hercules forum.

Any and all help, tips, etc. are greatly appreciated!
Old October 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My suggestion is to try a self powered USB hub. Or try plugging it into a USB 2.0 not 3.0 port.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
My suggestion is to try a self powered USB hub. Or try plugging it into a USB 2.0 not 3.0 port.
I've tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0. The hub is definitely an idea... any specific reasons why you may think it'll fare better than the onboard ports? I thought for a bit that maybe something was wrong with power delivery to the USB ports but there really aren't any options in the BIOS to mess with that. AFAIK.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsupport View Post
I've tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0. The hub is definitely an idea... any specific reasons why you may think it'll fare better than the onboard ports? I thought for a bit that maybe something was wrong with power delivery to the USB ports but there really aren't any options in the BIOS to mess with that. AFAIK.
Your thoughts are the same as mine and I"m not sure why the usb port on a laptop would work compared to the pc.. but its the only thing I can think of.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

it is possible to force driver software so that windows doesn't just try and search for it on it's own. have you tried running it in compatibility mode? Or is that even an option?

It should show up in Device manager if windows is seeing it at all. Right click /properties on the device. (probably has a yellow exclamation mark beside it or a Red X.)

Then click update driver. Then browse my computer for driver software (you have the disk i'm assuming)

Then click Let me pick from a list. Choose the item if it shows up... if not then uncheck show compatable.
Choose the item again then choose have disk. You may see your item in the left menu but I doubt it.

This is how we used to install shit back in windows 98 etc.

Hope this works!

If you get this far and it still doesn't work but you can see software on the desktop.. you can try running the software in compatibility mode which may detect the device again... hard to say tho.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
It should show up in Device manager if windows is seeing it at all. Right click /properties on the device. (probably has a yellow exclamation mark beside it or a Red X.)
It doesn't show up in Device Manager at all :( it really isn't at that stage yet
Old October 29, 2013, 11:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

damn... all kinds of fail eh.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 30, 2013, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

run Live Update 5 from MSI to update bios for 2.3 has some usb fixes
Old October 30, 2013, 05:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Here are my thoughts:
1. There is a usb update addressed in the MSI website for your mobo BIOS:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87M-G43.html#/?div=BIOS
Make sure you are running that. After that is done, do the following:

2. I know you mentioned drivers, but are you sure you have the usb host controller drivers installed from MSI's website?
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87M-G...Driver&os=Win7 64

3. Failing that, then turn off User Account Control (UAC) just to be safe (don't think this will cause an issue but no harm trying).

Make sure antivirus is turned off when doing all the above just to be safe as well.

After I typed all the above, I figured I would take a look at the mobo manual. Found the following reference to MSI's "SuperCharger" technology:
Quote:
The JUSB1 (red mark) connector supports MSI’s new SuperCharger technology
which provides quicker USB charging of your cellular phone or other USB-powered
devices. To enable this feature, please install the MSI SuperCharger application
on your computer. When the SuperCharger application is turned on, the JUSB1
connector will convert data channels to extra power channels to quickly charge your
connected device. Please note that when the SuperCharger application is turned on,
data transmission and synchronization over the JUSB1 connector will not function. To
enable the JUSB1 connector to function as a normal USB 2.0 connector, please turn
off the SuperCharger application. When the computer is in stand-by or hibernation
mode (S3/ S4/ S5) SuperCharger mode will automatically be enabled.
So, if you have that Supercharger application enabled get rid of it too..maybe the mobo is seeing the device as a media device like a phone, and is trying to charge the device instead of communicating with it.

Another option in your bios (according to the manual), under the section of your bios called "USB Configuration" (page 68 of the manual), set the usb legacy mode to Enabled instead of Auto.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 31, 2013, 04:18 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the suggestions, KaptCrunch and chrisk.

I installed Live Update 5 and that in turn installed a bunch of other stuff. I'm now running the latest BIOS version (2.4) and have every conceivable driver and utility.
I didn't have SuperCharger installed before and made sure it remained turned off after it was installed.
The USB legacy mode was always set to Enabled.
And I tried it with antivirus disabled, and UAC disabled.... still nothing :(

Maybe I should have gone with the Gigabyte mobo... aargh.
I'm gonna go out and buy a powered USB hub now and see what happens. Still open to suggestions, but I really fail to see what else can be done at this point.

Actually, should I try out an older BIOS version?