Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2013, 05:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsupport View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, KaptCrunch and chrisk.

I installed Live Update 5 and that in turn installed a bunch of other stuff. I'm now running the latest BIOS version (2.4) and have every conceivable driver and utility.
I didn't have SuperCharger installed before and made sure it remained turned off after it was installed.
The USB legacy mode was always set to Enabled.
And I tried it with antivirus disabled, and UAC disabled.... still nothing :(

Maybe I should have gone with the Gigabyte mobo... aargh.
I'm gonna go out and buy a powered USB hub now and see what happens. Still open to suggestions, but I really fail to see what else can be done at this point.

Actually, should I try out an older BIOS version?
I know you have it on your laptop, but any chance that you can have a buddy with a Win7 64 bit laptop (or you head to his/her place) to go through a fresh installation there? I wonder if something is up with the DJ unit; your laptop can use it since it had it installed before, but maybe there is something wonky with the device itself (that the laptop with a previous good installation is lucky enough to recognize still).
Fold for team #54196
Old October 31, 2013, 06:52 PM
Top Prospect

It works! With a powered USB hub, but it works!

Which probably means that it simply wasn't getting enough power from the mobo? Which I find very odd. I'll use it with the hub for now but ultimately it'd be nice to fix the problem. Given that MSI touts the "SuperCharger" capabilities of the thing it's strange it can't power the unit on its own.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsupport View Post

It works! With a powered USB hub, but it works!

Which probably means that it simply wasn't getting enough power from the mobo? Which I find very odd. I'll use it with the hub for now but ultimately it'd be nice to fix the problem. Given that MSI touts the "SuperCharger" capabilities of the thing it's strange it can't power the unit on its own.
Supercharge only provides a higher amperage to charge devices like tablets and phones. This higher votlage/amperage could be causing your controller to think its in a charge state not a data state.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:01 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Supercharge only provides a higher amperage to charge devices like tablets and phones. This higher votlage/amperage could be causing your controller to think its in a charge state not a data state.
That's what I was thinking when I saw the supercharge stuff in the manual. If it takes a hub to turn it off/make it work properly then thats poor implementation on MSIs part.

edit: also check out the bios and see if there is a supercharge option to disable.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 31, 2013, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
That's what I was thinking when I saw the supercharge stuff in the manual. If it takes a hub to turn it off/make it work properly then thats poor implementation on MSIs part.

edit: also check out the bios and see if there is a supercharge option to disable.
I think MSI has a utility that you can install to enable or disable that feature.. it might even be hidden in the bios somewhere.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:33 PM
Top Prospect

Well the SuperCharge only affects one USB header and therefor just one set of ports. I don't even have anything connected to those pins.
It all happens through the application - there aren't any BIOS options for it.