Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 25, 2013, 03:14 PM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,353

My System Specs

Default Cannot delete a folder

for some stupid reason I cannot delete a folder even with Admin rights.
I can change the name of the folder move it around but when it comes to deleting it it won't it says that I require permission from SHADOWFIRE\shadowmoone to make changes to this folder but I can change the name move it anywhere accept to the rercyclebin , I have all of the permissions in the properties for full control I even tried to delete cmd prompt and still it won't delete
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 25, 2013, 03:27 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
for some stupid reason I cannot delete a folder even with Admin rights.
I can change the name of the folder move it around but when it comes to deleting it it won't it says that I require permission from SHADOWFIRE\shadowmoone to make changes to this folder but I can change the name move it anywhere accept to the rercyclebin , I have all of the permissions in the properties for full control I even tried to delete cmd prompt and still it won't delete
Reboot into Safe mode and remove it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 25, 2013, 03:50 PM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,353

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Reboot into Safe mode and remove it.
I tried that and it still wouldn't delete I am currently going to try using a linux live distro and delete it that way I hate it when windows does this to me it doesn't happen that often but when it does it sure erks me .
I am thinking of going back to my Dual boot with Arch linux again
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 25, 2013, 04:32 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

Right click on it, select properties, select the security tab, click the advanced button, then click the owner tab. Change the owner to your current account (Admin rights on that account are a must) make sure you choose to update all sub folders and files. Then go back to the security tab and make sure that account has full control priviledges. Then delete it.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 25, 2013, 06:41 PM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,353

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Right click on it, select properties, select the security tab, click the advanced button, then click the owner tab. Change the owner to your current account (Admin rights on that account are a must) make sure you choose to update all sub folders and files. Then go back to the security tab and make sure that account has full control privileges. Then delete it.
that was the first thing I did but I already had full Admin prejudges I even signed out then into an Admin account ( the builder admin account) tried still no go. then I created a new account and gave the new account full admin right still wouldn't work I think that this System is a bit screwy. I ended up getting to it via a live linux and deleted it. since I will be working on an old friend windows problem tomorrow I think that after that I am going to do a back up and a fresh install of windows.
windows OS is the only OS that gets messed up I never had a problem with any of the Linux distros that I couldn't fix but MS windows at least once a year I have a major problem and have to to a full reinstall becasue of there sloppiness or lazyness I just wished that more games ran in Linuix becasue I would drop windows in a flash if they did.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old October 25, 2013, 07:43 PM
maverick_brent's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 467

My System Specs

Default

happend the other day to a friend of mine, we ended up having to run a cmd command to enable the admin privileges on his account again....did a quick search, i know this won't help but maybe it will..."net user administrator /active:yes" put that into cmd and log-out then log back in as admin
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old October 25, 2013, 08:32 PM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,353

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_brent View Post
happend the other day to a friend of mine, we ended up having to run a cmd command to enable the admin privileges on his account again....did a quick search, i know this won't help but maybe it will..."net user administrator /active:yes" put that into cmd and log-out then log back in as admin
that also didn't work
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old October 26, 2013, 03:48 PM
ShinraCorp's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 459

My System Specs

Default

As stupid as this sounds but... What folder are you trying to delete exactly? Some folders may never be deleted.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old October 26, 2013, 07:52 PM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,353

My System Specs

Default

it was just a folder that a bunch of old media files on it
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old October 26, 2013, 08:30 PM
ShinraCorp's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 459

My System Specs

Default

Alright and would there be a program that looks at media files when you start up your PC? Like a streaming service or something, there has to be something that's always looking at your media files.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Completed Project “Folder Holder” - Custom Open Air Bench for a 2P 24/7 Folder CoolHandL Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery 24 January 29, 2012 08:17 PM
Force Delete Folder on second HDD? Modus O/S's, Drivers & General Software 1 November 22, 2011 01:22 PM
New Old Folder.. mchutch HardwareCanucks F@H Team 7 February 27, 2011 08:01 PM
Low Consumption Folder OR Part time POWER Folder ilya New Builds 3 May 16, 2010 03:33 PM
Folder down redwagon HardwareCanucks F@H Team 2 October 2, 2009 12:35 PM