Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2013, 04:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Win 8.1 Update

I know this is more of a software issue, but maybe it's a simple issue. Either way, updated my Asus UX31A laptop to Windows 8.1 yesterday (what a mistake).

Now I'm having internet browser issues. The laptop connects to the internet fine (maintains a network connection with internet connectivity), but for some reason the browser only works on website about 50% of the time. When it doesn't work, I get a could not connect to website error. I tend to use Google Chrome, but it works much worse than IE explorer right now.

Any thoughts what it could be? I've updated the wireless adapter driver, but that doesn't seem to be the issue anyway. It seems to be with just connecting to website. Sometimes they're really slow, sometimes they don't work, sometimes it works. So far I haven't come across a pattern for the issue.
Old October 19, 2013, 07:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like a possible DNS issue. Do you have any other devices to test while you notice this on your laptop?

You could try changing your DNS to Google's as per these instructions: https://developers.google.com/speed/...cs/using#setup to see if that makes any difference.
Old October 20, 2013, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi JD, thank you, that did solve the problem.

I discovered the route of the problem is the router though. The current router I'm using in Australia has been identified to have an issue with Win 8.1, a fix is in the works, but the changing the DNS is a workaround for now. Asus also hasn't issued updated drivers for 8.1 yet.

Either way, I appreciate the input. You steered me in the right direction!