Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2013, 06:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
1. good.
2. Negative; there should be 3 sata power cables; furthermore, each cable has 3 connections. You could in theory power up to 9 HDDs.
3. 3-pin connectors have a keyway for proper orientation.

To help you at this stage, we need pics.
2. I'm sorry, there are only two and each cable has only two connectors. For a total of four maximum, but it's too short to reach the DVD/RW. I'm not sure where everyone is seeing 3, but the site and my box matches the cables I have.

3. Tried that, doesn't work.

What do you need pictures of?
Old October 20, 2013, 08:50 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I get it... your parts picker shows that you selected the CX430, while the actual PSU link shows the CX430M. Not the same PSU. So indeed you have 4 Sata power connectors. As I stated earlier, you'll have to find a way to set up your components so that the power connectors can reach all of them. You can also use a Molex-to-sata power converter if needed.

Pics? I need to see the fan connectors, board connectors and how you connect them. Because I simply don't follow what you explain.
Old October 20, 2013, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you need your DVD drive? I haven't used mine in about 3 years, they aren't needed anymore.
Old October 21, 2013, 04:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I get it... your parts picker shows that you selected the CX430, while the actual PSU link shows the CX430M. Not the same PSU. So indeed you have 4 Sata power connectors. As I stated earlier, you'll have to find a way to set up your components so that the power connectors can reach all of them. You can also use a Molex-to-sata power converter if needed.

Pics? I need to see the fan connectors, board connectors and how you connect them. Because I simply don't follow what you explain.
Well, it's fairly simple. The PSU came with a Molex cable, which is what I attached my front fan into.

The back fan, I plugged straight into SYS_FAN.

Front fan works, back fan doesn't. However, the back fan works when I plug it into the Molex cable, so it's not a fan issue, but something else.

Sidenote: I've fixed the other issues. Ordered a 4 connector SATA cable from Amazon, and a couple SATA data cables, which solves my issue with the connectors. Still need to check out what's happening with my RAM, as it still only shows 4GB when I've installed 8GB. Only other issue is the fan, but the computer runs perfectly.
Old October 21, 2013, 04:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadz View Post
Sidenote: I've fixed the other issues. Ordered a 4 connector SATA cable from Amazon, and a couple SATA data cables, which solves my issue with the connectors. Still need to check out what's happening with my RAM, as it still only shows 4GB when I've installed 8GB. Only other issue is the fan, but the computer runs perfectly.
I did not read the whole thread but...

Windows 32 or 64 bit?
Old October 21, 2013, 07:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
I did not read the whole thread but...

Windows 32 or 64 bit?
64-bit.
Old October 21, 2013, 04:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Unless there is a Disabled setting in the BIOS for the fan header, it should work.

You may want to manually set the Vram, speed and timings settings in order to have 8 Gb.
Old October 21, 2013, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Unless there is a Disabled setting in the BIOS for the fan header, it should work.

You may want to manually set the Vram, speed and timings settings in order to have 8 Gb.
RAM issue is fixed now.

Only issue left is the fan. It's currently plugged in the SYS_FAN spot, in the 3 pins (1,2,3), which matches the cable. Nothing happens.
Old October 21, 2013, 07:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
RAM issue is fixed now.

Only issue left is the fan. It's currently plugged in the SYS_FAN spot, in the 3 pins (1,2,3), which matches the cable. Nothing happens.
Edit: Nevermind. Fixed the fans. Turns out one of the Molex to 3 pin adapters was slightly broken? No idea how, fixed it, all seems to work now. Weird how SYS_FAN didn't work for either fan though... slightly concerning, but all seems to work now.
Old October 21, 2013, 07:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Edit: Nevermind. Fixed the fans. Turns out one of the Molex to 3 pin adapters was slightly broken? No idea how, fixed it, all seems to work now. Weird how SYS_FAN didn't work for either fan though... slightly concerning, but all seems to work now.
Glad to hear you got it all worked out, and hopefully the sys fan is just finger problems or a setting in bios.

As far as the molex adapter goes... the most common failure is that one of the pins gets pushed back rather than seating into the socket. Sometimes you need to fiddle around with the wire on the back side to get it aligned so that it fits into the socket properly.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP