Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2013, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Like suggested try each stick of ram individually .
Old October 18, 2013, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just went through the ram thing with a workmate. He tired using old ram which should have technically worked but it would continually crash the computer. The ram was so bad that it actually corrupted his fresh windows install. Sadly ram is way over priced right now so you may wanna keep an eye on the buy/sell thread on this forum to pick up a newer/used/inexpensive set.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 18, 2013, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

NOTE power is for fans only due to 1 amp load max
Attached Images

Old October 18, 2013, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadz View Post

2. RAM: I have 2 4GB sticks. Put 1 4GB stick in, and the computer turns on and runs fine. When I put the second in, it boots up for 5-10 seconds, nothing on screen, then restarts and loops.

I'm sorry if it's fairly jumbled, I did the best I could with the knowledge I have. Hoping someone can help me!
install MSi LIVE UPDATE from your MB disk to get current drivers / bios for I see fixes for Ram. F4 is the current bios
Old October 18, 2013, 02:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
install MSi LIVE UPDATE to get current bios for I see fixed for Ram
I'm always a bit leery about suggesting folks update their bios when/if they're having memory issues. I'd only do it with a single stick of mem, and then only after I'd run a good set of mem tests to ensure that the new firmware doesn't become corrupted because of a memory glitch.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 18, 2013, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

We need this person to come back and simply answer some of the unanswered questions before any decisions are truly made.
Old October 18, 2013, 03:09 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Your list of components is fine; your board has 4 SATA ports (1 SSD, 2 HDDs, 1 DVD). The board most probably came with only 2 SATA cables. You need 2 more.

Your CX430 PSU is just fine. It has enough connectors for your needs. See pic:

Connected cables are the 24 pins and the 4+4 pins for the board power. Connect both (use only 4 of the 4+4 - choose the correct group of 4 pins).

There are 2 cables labeled 'PCIe'. Since you do not have any GPU, you will not use them.

Next are the SATA power cables (flat connectors). There are 3 of those, which have 3 connections per. You will need 2 cables (for a total of 4 connections - SDD, HDDs, DVD).

Last are the Molex power cables (flat 4 pins). Depending on the number of fans, you may need them. Make sure you use the onboard 3-pin connector available for one case fan. Use a Molex power cable for the remaining fans (a cable has 4 connections - more than enough).

Cable management - component locations is an art, making sure all components can be reached with the cables coming from the PSU.

Good luck.
Old October 18, 2013, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm always a bit leery about suggesting folks update their bios when/if they're having memory issues. I'd only do it with a single stick of mem, and then only after I'd run a good set of mem tests to ensure that the new firmware doesn't become corrupted because of a memory glitch.
agree on bios update but for gigabyte MB double check motherboard Revision , your manually updating

for they use same model # but different Rev's for they changed vendors making bios totally different

if used wrong Rev you make a paper weight
Attached Images

Old October 19, 2013, 10:52 PM
Rookie

Sorry for the delay, did not have a chance to get back to this.

1. RAM issue solved. No idea how, just is.
2. Here's the only setup I can do:

SSD - SATA cable to SATA3_0. SATA power cable to power supply.
HD1 - SATA cable to SATA3_1. SATA power cable to HD2 then to power supply.
HD2 - SATA cable to SATA2_?. SATA power cable from HD1 to power supply.
DVD/RW - SATA cable to SATA2_?. No SATA power cable.

The power supply only comes with (2) SATA power cables, as you can see above. I need one more for my DVD/RW.

3. Case fans: I've connected my front case fan to the Molex adapter which leads to the power supply, works fine. I tried to connect the back fan to the SYS_FAN using the 3-pin, doesn't work at all. If I connect it to the Molex adapter with the front fan, it doesn't work at all. If I connect it to the Molex adapter alone, it works. What gives?

To solve my SATA issue, it looks like I just need another SATA power cable, but I don't know what to do for the fans.

Any further help?
Old October 20, 2013, 06:10 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

1. good.
2. Negative; there should be 3 sata power cables; furthermore, each cable has 3 connections. You could in theory power up to 9 HDDs.
3. 3-pin connectors have a keyway for proper orientation.

To help you at this stage, we need pics.