Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2013, 08:49 PM
Rookie

Default Updated bios, now can't boot computer to my windows install

I didn't want to update the bios but felt I had to since I was getting blod. I updated it and it installed fine without any issue, but now my windows install is gone. It asks me to install windows again, and when I try it doesn't load my windows file that I have on my USB stick. It says it can't find it. I tried booting from my USB stick but it never seems to load it.

I also tried the system restore. And it can't restore to any earlier points. How can I get this to install windows again?
Old October 15, 2013, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

um ok so you can access windows because otherwise you wouldn't be able toi use system restore. is your USB stick bootable? also did you go into your bios and make it so that it will search for USB before the hard drive?
Old October 15, 2013, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
um ok so you can access windows because otherwise you wouldn't be able toi use system restore. is your USB stick bootable? also did you go into your bios and make it so that it will search for USB before the hard drive?
What I mean is I can't access my windows install I had before, I have to reinstall it. I set my first boot device to my USB in my bios.

Now when I power up my system the windows splash screen comes up, than a bsod appears and disappears with the system restarting than asking me to start windows normally or to try and repair it. Starting it normally just does the same thing again with the bsod and goes back to this same menu. Selecting the repair option does nothing and tells me that windows couldn't automatically fix the problem.
Old October 15, 2013, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

if you reinstall over the top of the current one ( assuming you get that far) windows will put your old install in a folder you can access later.
Most current motherboards will allow you to select boot options during boot up but you gotta disable the BIOS splash screen to see which key to push. Normally it's f8 to access your boot choices which will give you a list of all hardware media currently on the PC.

Choose the USB. have you tried the USB on another computer to confirm it's still bootable?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 15, 2013, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

If it reset the bios check to make sure that it didn't default the SATA controllers to IDE and not AHCI.
Old October 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Check if it's on AHCI or not.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
if you reinstall over the top of the current one ( assuming you get that far) windows will put your old install in a folder you can access later.
Most current motherboards will allow you to select boot options during boot up but you gotta disable the BIOS splash screen to see which key to push. Normally it's f8 to access your boot choices which will give you a list of all hardware media currently on the PC.

Choose the USB. have you tried the USB on another computer to confirm it's still bootable?
I got to my bios menu where I can select what device as the boot priority. I select my usb drive as the first boot device, save and restart, and it loads the page to install windows. Than it tells me that there isn't anything here and to select a driver to install windows. I than can look through all my drives to locate this file. I tried selecting every drive and all the files And nothing seems to work.

Why am I even having to re-install windows for updating the bios, is this normal?
Old October 15, 2013, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesb View Post
I got to my bios menu where I can select what device as the boot priority. I select my usb drive as the first boot device, save and restart, and it loads the page to install windows. Than it tells me that there isn't anything here and to select a driver to install windows. I than can look through all my drives to locate this file. I tried selecting every drive and all the files And nothing seems to work.

Why am I even having to re-install windows for updating the bios, is this normal?
Check 2 posts up.
Old October 15, 2013, 10:46 PM
Rookie

Thanks a lot guys. Finally back up and running again. It all came down to having it set to ACHI and booting from the C drive where the original windows was installed to. I didn't even think that, that setting would stop the previous windows install from loading. But I guess it makes sense since I did install windows with it set to ACHI from the beginning. So that setting has to be the same of course.

Now I just hope that updating the bios has finally fixed that bsod problem.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesb View Post
Thanks a lot guys. Finally back up and running again. It all came down to having it set to ACHI and booting from the C drive where the original windows was installed to. I didn't even think that, that setting would stop the previous windows install from loading. But I guess it makes sense since I did install windows with it set to ACHI from the beginning. So that setting has to be the same of course.

Now I just hope that updating the bios has finally fixed that bsod problem.
hehe it usually is something simple glad to read that your problem is solved