Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2013, 07:18 AM
Top Prospect

Default motherboard raid questions/ stutter questions

This is a weird one that I would like to get figured out before I build my next pc
Here is some back story so to speak
As far back as bf1942 and Desert Combat to present BF titles, I have always experienced a weird lag, or hesitation in all my systems during game play.Its hard to explain, but its similar to internet lag,or possible hard drive based.It is very noticeable. I have always blamed it on graphics or internet. I have been constantly been upgrading all this time both complete systems and even internet providers as I can't handle something not working properly.
Ever since way back when the 36 gb raptors have been out I have been running raid 0 with all my systems.
Now there has been various versions of raptors and ssd's in each system
All raid 0 systems have been run by on board motherboard solutions from various manufacturers. I know now this is not really a true hardware raid solution, but thought it was better then a single drive.
SO fast forward to today..
I was running two Crucial M4 128Gb drives in raid 0 off a gigabyte mini itx fm2 based system (which the problem was present with a gtx670) and switched to a single M4 drive to try windows 8.1 preview in uefi. I am not ready to go to windows 8 yet, so I reformatted the single drive and went back to windows 7 on the single m4. I installed bf3 and bf4 beta and played for a while and low and behold there was no hesitation or lag that was present before.
Is it possible that all this time that I was blaming other hardware and/or internet it was actually my onboard raid solution that was causing these annoying issues?
I have had Bell Fibre Op for the last three systems and still had the weird problems. I have always had ports forwarded for each game, so I would think its not internet based
I have had various gpus from both companies, so its not limited to nvidia or amd.
Video settings were never cranked even tho I could have on every system.
I know this is very hard to diagnose without seeing the systems or problem in action, but the raid setups are the only common thing I can think of.
Old October 14, 2013, 07:33 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Could be. I have ran raid 0 for at least 10 years with Zero issues. Currently have 3 Vertex's in raid 0.But I use intel Raid. I have heard the jMicron and other solutions are crap. What raid chip are you using?
Old October 14, 2013, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There was a time when I was obsessed with RAID0 setups and I can confirm from experience that onboard raid logic is not very shiny, not even the RAID controllers that are software based, like those little cards with 2 ports. The only RAID setup that unleashed the potential of my HDDs, doubling the top transfer speeds was based on a LSI SAS controller, the LSI SAS3041E that I got from ebay , at the time it was like 100$, so unless the raid card is not something dedicated you will not see the promised performance increase. Since then I moved to single SSD in AHCI mode and never looked back.

Old October 14, 2013, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

I was the same...figured I was kicking ass with the two drives and whooping everyone local here when we did have the rare lan party.
But yet whenever I built one of my friends systems with a single ssd drive, it always a"felt" better when I was testing games out on them.( Although I would never admit that to them haha )
As for raid chipsets..i had used intel for the most part, and tried to stay away from jmicron
Old October 14, 2013, 08:48 AM
Top Prospect

I'm thinking I'm going to be in the market for a decent (240 and up gb ) sized ssd or go the extra mile and go with a hardware raid solution.
But for just gaming, the hardware card would probably be a complete waste of money.
And by the way...thanks for the responses. I have a hard time asking for advice or help most times, as I like to figure stuff out on my own for the most part.
Old October 14, 2013, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had these issues too man and switched to a simple Adaptec card to run raid 0 paid about a 100 bux for it. I'm gonna assume you know to make sure the drives you are using are happy in a raid. Some drives aren't.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.