Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 3, 2013, 03:13 AM
Allstar

Default Win7 "vdomemke.exe" error after virus cleanup

I used AVG rescue disk on a friend's PC, it found some spyware and a couple Trojans, now when it boots before the desktop should appear it hangs on a cmd prompt dos box saying it cant find this vdomemke.exe in some user folder.
I deleted that folder but it still hangs at bootup with the dos window (the exact message is something about cannot find specified path). I can start explorer by the Task Manager and it seems ok after that, but it's clearly not fixed.

Could a virus have planted a new path to look for and that is why I'm seeing this? Any ideas where to go from here?
Old October 3, 2013, 06:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Could be something in startup trying to run a trojan / spyware... check msconfig startup tab for anything odd.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 3, 2013, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

1) AVG = bad
2) Safe Mode and run ComboFix
3) Use MalwareBytes
4) Use HiJackThis (with extreme caution)

Something in the registry is trying to run something and it can't find it.
Old October 3, 2013, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

sounds if looking for mac program Video Monkey
Old October 3, 2013, 08:35 AM
Allstar

I think I did see Video Monkey on it. Thanks for the suggestions, I forgot about ComboFix, damn people, why do they click anything that says Free on the interweb.
Old October 3, 2013, 08:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
I think I did see Video Monkey on it. Thanks for the suggestions, I forgot about ComboFix, damn people, why do they click anything that says Free on the interweb.
Well.... because it's Free!!!!

How else are the entitled masses supposed to get their god given rights to everything in the world delivered to their doorstep???? ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 3, 2013, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Teach them to use Firefox + Ad Block and you'll find that 90% of those issues go away ;)

Be the teacher.
Old October 3, 2013, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Well.... because it's Free!!!!

How else are the entitled masses supposed to get their god given rights to everything in the world delivered to their doorstep???? ;)
yeah free portal to your desktop, with them share type programs
Old October 3, 2013, 06:21 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
1) AVG = bad
2) Safe Mode and run ComboFix
3) Use MalwareBytes
4) Use HiJackThis (with extreme caution)

Something in the registry is trying to run something and it can't find it.
Well I found out a few weeks ago the owner called some 800 number to fix a problem and they had him install McAffee on it, after they took remote control of the pc.

Combofix and malwarebytes found a few things, and now it boots up without the cmd window. Thanks alot for the suggestion! I have to admit when my own pc doesn't get infected I forget the steps to take.

Now to remove McAffee and get MSSE installed.
Would anyone like to see the Hijackthis log?
Old October 3, 2013, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Well I found out a few weeks ago the owner called some 800 number to fix a problem and they had him install McAffee on it, after they took remote control of the pc.

Combofix and malwarebytes found a few things, and now it boots up without the cmd window. Thanks alot for the suggestion! I have to admit when my own pc doesn't get infected I forget the steps to take.

Now to remove McAffee and get MSSE installed.
Would anyone like to see the Hijackthis log?
there is a website you can submit those logs too which does a decent job of analyzing them.