Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2013, 08:16 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Default HDMI Sound Issue

This seems odd. For years now I've run my HTPC into my TV using a DVI-HDMI adapter and had the sound go in separately via minjack-dual RCA (either from onboard sound or a Audigy 2 NX). My TV had one HDMI port that accepted audio to be provided in this fashion. I recently did and upgrade to my HTPC and switched over to a 8500GT card which has HDMI out. If I plug in the HDMI cable to the DVI port the same was as I always used to, audio works. If I plug in the HDMI directly into the card, my on board audio is getting disabled. I've had issues in the past with ATI cards that had there own HD audio that would try and hijack things, but to my knowledge, this Nvidia card doesn't have any built in audio. I'm thinking this might be HDCP type dealie, but why would it work with the DVI-HDMI adapter and then not with a direct connection.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
This seems odd. For years now I've run my HTPC into my TV using a DVI-HDMI adapter and had the sound go in separately via minjack-dual RCA (either from onboard sound or a Audigy 2 NX). My TV had one HDMI port that accepted audio to be provided in this fashion. I recently did and upgrade to my HTPC and switched over to a 8500GT card which has HDMI out. If I plug in the HDMI cable to the DVI port the same was as I always used to, audio works. If I plug in the HDMI directly into the card, my on board audio is getting disabled. I've had issues in the past with ATI cards that had there own HD audio that would try and hijack things, but to my knowledge, this Nvidia card doesn't have any built in audio. I'm thinking this might be HDCP type dealie, but why would it work with the DVI-HDMI adapter and then not with a direct connection.
Yes the 8500GT does HDMI audio.. so let it use it :P
Old September 27, 2013, 09:09 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Seems it has a SPDIF pass through like a 9800GT I used to have, but I didn't see a header on this particular card for it. I'll take a closer look at it this weekend, maybe it's there and I didn't see it, or it wasn't populated, in which case I may have some soldering to do. I should have a SPDIF cable kicking around.
Old September 27, 2013, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Seems it has a SPDIF pass through like a 9800GT I used to have, but I didn't see a header on this particular card for it. I'll take a closer look at it this weekend, maybe it's there and I didn't see it, or it wasn't populated, in which case I may have some soldering to do. I should have a SPDIF cable kicking around.
They don't have headers. Its built onto the card as are all newer cards. I have a GT 520 running HDMI audio out.
Old September 27, 2013, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nvidia audio drivers are part of the graphics card driver package

install Nvidia HD Audio

may also be HDMI cable doesn't support audio
Old September 27, 2013, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

you may need to select the tv as the sound source too in your audio options or playback devices. I've noticed win7 tools around a little at 1st but once you've gotten it working it will always work. If you are using VLC to playback videos try right clicking on the video while the movie is on the TV screen and manually setting the audio to 5.1 from it's default of 2.1. I've had a weird glitch in the past with VLC and this solved it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 7, 2013, 12:04 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Everything on the interweb seems to indicate that this card does not have it's own HD audio and uses a SPDIF pass through. There are also no unknown hardware devices in the device manager. I tracked down a a cable plugged it in, selected the SPDIF output in the audio options and still get no sound. I tried another HDMI port, nadda, checked the TV's audio settings and didn't see anything related to this issue. I guess I'll just keep using the DVI>HDMI adapter for now.
Old October 7, 2013, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Everything on the interweb seems to indicate that this card does not have it's own HD audio and uses a SPDIF pass through. There are also no unknown hardware devices in the device manager. I tracked down a a cable plugged it in, selected the SPDIF output in the audio options and still get no sound. I tried another HDMI port, nadda, checked the TV's audio settings and didn't see anything related to this issue. I guess I'll just keep using the DVI>HDMI adapter for now.
Make sure that when the nvidia drivers are installed it installs the HD Audio drivers.