Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2013, 04:06 AM
Rookie

Default GA-Z87X-UD5H can't detect installed HD 7970

Hey HardwareCanucks,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a build upgrade I recently completed. I replaced my motherboard and CPU with a GA-Z87X-UD5H and an Intel i7 4770k.

The replacement process went relatively painlessly, I got the board and CPU in place, plugged a DVI cable into the board directly and booted up; everything worked as expected. I made it to the Windows 7 desktop and was able to install the Ethernet drivers. Everything looked great, so I turned it off so I could plug in my GPU.

I plugged my HD 7970, that I had proved worked as it was powering my previous build not an hour before I took it out of my previous build. I leave the DVI cable in the motherboard, go the BIOS and set the primary display device to be PCIe slot 2 (the GPU would not fit in the first slot). Save, exit and turn the machine off again.

I swap the DVI cable over to the GPU; but get no display. Concerened, I return it back to the motherboard DVI slot. I get display. I boot the whole way to windows, go to the device manager, and see an unknown device (something along the lines of Video Controller (VGA Compatible), I'll have to double check the name when I get home from work). Thinking that it may be related to the drivers I had installed with my old setup, I uninstall the current CCC, restart, and attempt to install the new CCC. Both on the uninstall, and install, I get a warning, essentailly saying that it detected no device (no error message came up, but I was given a warning and in the "detected devices" section, no devices were present).

So I'm kinda stuck now. The card looks like its sitting flush in the PCIe slot, the fan is spinning, so it is getting power, and I know the card isn't a dud because it has previously working.

Any tips? Is there just some setting I'm missing?

Thanks!

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention was that this motherboard has a MASSIVE heatsink by the PCIe slots. I had to move the card down to the second PCIe slot to get it to slot comfortably; but when I moved it down to the second PCIe slot, I noticed that it was touching the SATA ports.

Last edited by Uncooked; September 27, 2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

First off, did you try taking the GPU out then re-seat in, and take the power connectors off and back on to ensure they are all properly connected? I find it odd that your card won't fit in the first slot...does the 7970 have something on it sticking up that way? When you say its touching the sata ports do you mean its close, or is it physically against the card? If its touching it may be preventing the card from fully seating.

EDIT: just looked at a picture of the MOB and see the heatsink you are talking about. If your card isn't actually against that heatsink I would put the video card in the first slot. According to tigerdirect the top slot is the only pciex16 slot anyway.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:54 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

First, there is no way the heatsink should prevent ANY card from going into slot 1. Never ever heard of that. Searching reveals no one else with that issue. Something is up. What brand and model is the 7970?
You are only getting 8 lanes of pci to slot 2.
Second thing. Go into the Bios and disable the iGPU. Save and shut down. Swap the cable to the 7970 and start. I don't think you can have both going.
Old September 27, 2013, 09:02 AM
Rookie

The 7970 is a generic Radeon 7970. I tried resetting it multiple times, both in the x16 and x8 slot with no luck.

When I get home, I'll try to disable iGPU again and see if that works.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions :)
Old September 27, 2013, 09:14 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

You are doing something wrong. There is no way it should not fit in the slot. Maybe the way it is hooking into the back of the case? Something wrong with the case? Or the tab at the back of the pci slot that catches the L on the card to lock it in? You have to push that tab down, install the card and then pull the tab up.
Old September 27, 2013, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

(Note) The USB driver must be updated in advanced.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...b3_8series.exe

update bios, if not current

bios:F7
date:2013/08/05
PCB ver 1.0/1.1
Improve PCIE-E compatibility
Old September 27, 2013, 02:38 PM
Rookie

Just got home :).

Had to REALLY force the card in (leaned right into it).

Even thought it "popped" once when the latch grabbed it, I had to get it to "pop" again.

Thanks every one for the suggestions :).