Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2013, 05:50 AM
Rookie

Default Cannot install W7 on new build

Hello HWCs

I just built a new PC for my uncle...not my first time. I have built like 10 in the last 2 year so. The computer went together great. Its post. I can see the temp of the CPU which is 25C and i see both sticks of Kingston RAM DDR3-1600. The problem arises when i try to install windows. I am able to boot from a DVD with windows just fine. I select custom install and create a partition, format it. It copies the files fine but it gets stuck on zero when expanding the files. It takes about 10-15 mins and an error appears on the screen that it could not expanded the file that there maybe a corrupt file. I Google the error and a lot of people said RAM was the problem. I tried each piece by its self and it still the same error. I even put the RAM in my computer and it worked fine so i know its not that.

Does anybody have any suggestion. I am sorry i don't have the exact error on hand I am at work at the moment but will be working on this tonight again as well...

Thanks
SKW
Old September 24, 2013, 06:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

update the bios and try again. The ram you are using may not be supported with the original BIOS which is actually pretty common. If that doesn't work I'd suggest trying a different copy (new disk) of windows.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 24, 2013, 06:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
update the bios and try again. The ram you are using may not be supported with the original BIOS which is actually pretty common. If that doesn't work I'd suggest trying a different copy (new disk) of windows.
the bios update is a great idea. I have a different copy of Windows on a bootable USB ready to go for tonight as well..

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old September 24, 2013, 06:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

do u have more than one hard drives connected when doing the installation? Only connect one drive where you want to install the os and then try.
Old September 24, 2013, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSKW View Post
Hello HWCs

I just built a new PC for my uncle...not my first time. I have built like 10 in the last 2 year so. The computer went together great. Its post. I can see the temp of the CPU which is 25C and i see both sticks of Kingston RAM DDR3-1600. The problem arises when i try to install windows. I am able to boot from a DVD with windows just fine. I select custom install and create a partition, format it. It copies the files fine but it gets stuck on zero when expanding the files. It takes about 10-15 mins and an error appears on the screen that it could not expanded the file that there maybe a corrupt file. I Google the error and a lot of people said RAM was the problem. I tried each piece by its self and it still the same error. I even put the RAM in my computer and it worked fine so i know its not that.

Does anybody have any suggestion. I am sorry i don't have the exact error on hand I am at work at the moment but will be working on this tonight again as well...

Thanks
SKW
You haven't really given us to work off of. There are no system specs just the type of ram and the issue.

Regards the temp of the CPU unless you have a AIO or living in a very cold basement 25 celsius is pretty hard to believe.

Second without knowing what type of board or processor your running a guess is all we are doing. It could be that you have left your RAM settings in the bios to AUTO settings which is causing you grief. Its very advisable to go into the bios and set the as per requirements to avoid any issues.
Old September 24, 2013, 09:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
the bios update is a great idea
I tend to disagree. If the machine is unstable, it could write bad data not only to HDD (install), but also to the flash rom (flashing new bios), resulting in dead mobo. Altrought this is unlikely, I did not immediatelly consider bios flashing. At first, I would run Memtest, then GoldMemory.
Unless the machine is stable at first, I won't touch flashing at all.

Temperature of the CPU (25C) sounds fishy, unless there is some sort of extreme cooling applied, witch is hobby thing and not for uncles (not to mention pretty noisy and hard to transport).

After Memtest and GoldMemory I would start by replacing the cables to the HDD and then the HDD to some testing one.
Old September 24, 2013, 10:17 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

What motherboard is that? I've seen this many times due to Win7 not having the right drivers for the chipset on the install disk. In which case you have to do a custom install and then select drivers, and add the drivers from the mobo disk at the beginning of the win7 install.
Old September 24, 2013, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok so what you are saying that it is running into the error when it is extracting the files? to me that sound like the windows disk is messed up .
Old September 24, 2013, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
ok so what you are saying that it is running into the error when it is extracting the files? to me that sound like the windows disk is messed up .
Extraction errors from disk can be a hard drive or memory issue as well. Media is VERY seldom messed up but possible
Old September 24, 2013, 11:09 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
What motherboard is that? I've seen this many times due to Win7 not having the right drivers for the chipset on the install disk. In which case you have to do a custom install and then select drivers, and add the drivers from the mobo disk at the beginning of the win7 install.
here is the hardware.. i didn't pick the parts. I was just asked to put it together and put windows on it
Attached Images