Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2013, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Angry Asus laptop again

Ok so I just went through a huge ordeal with this laptop and the power connector on the mobo... it seems it's come loose again and so I'll need to once again remove the motherboard from it... no small task and very time consuming. Asus laptops are a huge pain in the ass to repair and they are never the same once you rip them apart.

I am looking for alternatives to fixing this once and for all. I've seen some screw style plugins on the internet but know nothing about them or if they work.

Any suggestions would be fantastic... The battery is good for maybe an hour or two and then it needs to be charged so it basically needs to be plugged in all the time.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 4, 2013, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

glue?
Old September 4, 2013, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks but its the actual solder on the other motherboard that holds the connector and its basically unsupported.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 4, 2013, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep .

That's one of my rules with my lappy (your g53's big brother)....I NEVER move it with anything plugged in , that kills the connectors.

We're not going to get a third shot at this bud , so whatever we come up with , is the last kick at the can......I was really careful soldering the new connector on , but even still , doing it again is gonna be sketchy at best.....the traces will probably peel this time.

My advice , is to remove the old plug and solder in a wire dongle.It's gonna look like shit , but it will remove the problem from the PCB.....

Old September 4, 2013, 07:52 PM
Allstar

If the connector is totally free of the motherboard, you might try a dop or two if superglue between the connector body ant the motherboard when you reseat it. Make sure you don't get any on the solder pads and let it dry before resoldering. Note that as this would be very difficult to reverse (though not imossible) I'd recommend it only as a last resort.

As BrainEeater says, watch the heat. The more often the joints are resoldered the more likely the traces will start to lift.
Old September 4, 2013, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

I considered glue last time I fixed er.....It's a really poor connector .I'll be lucky to desolder it when HaDeS brings it by.

Old September 4, 2013, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So I should consider getting a new motherboard for this lappy or walk away from it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 26, 2013, 03:08 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Thanks but its the actual solder on the other motherboard that holds the connector and its basically unsupported.
Use Silver Solder. The lead based is too soft. Silver Solder is used when higher currents or temps are likely, or in high vibration components. ex toaster, kettle, so it is much stronger. I always use silver solder on the connection.

Also a bit of thick crazy glue bonding the connector to the board would help as well. Just keep it away from Soldering areas.
Old September 26, 2013, 03:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've got my daughter's ASUS set up to have the connector repaired for the first time, and it's going to get a Velcro treatment on the body + cable before it goes back to her to hopefully prevent a reoccurrence. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 26, 2013, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I've got my daughter's ASUS set up to have the connector repaired for the first time, and it's going to get a Velcro treatment on the body + cable before it goes back to her to hopefully prevent a reoccurrence. :)
Hades got the mesh this weekend her laptop is my bitch... ill be nice ;)
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”