Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Asus laptop again (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/63049-asus-laptop-again.html)

clshades September 4, 2013 03:42 PM

Asus laptop again

Ok so I just went through a huge ordeal with this laptop and the power connector on the mobo... it seems it's come loose again and so I'll need to once again remove the motherboard from it... no small task and very time consuming. Asus laptops are a huge pain in the ass to repair and they are never the same once you rip them apart.

I am looking for alternatives to fixing this once and for all. I've seen some screw style plugins on the internet but know nothing about them or if they work.

Any suggestions would be fantastic... The battery is good for maybe an hour or two and then it needs to be charged so it basically needs to be plugged in all the time.

LarkStarr September 4, 2013 07:14 PM

glue?

clshades September 4, 2013 07:19 PM

Thanks but its the actual solder on the other motherboard that holds the connector and its basically unsupported.

BrainEater September 4, 2013 07:36 PM

Yep .

That's one of my rules with my lappy (your g53's big brother)....I NEVER move it with anything plugged in , that kills the connectors.

We're not going to get a third shot at this bud , so whatever we come up with , is the last kick at the can......I was really careful soldering the new connector on , but even still , doing it again is gonna be sketchy at best.....the traces will probably peel this time.

My advice , is to remove the old plug and solder in a wire dongle.It's gonna look like shit , but it will remove the problem from the PCB.....

:thumb:

NyteOwl September 4, 2013 08:52 PM

If the connector is totally free of the motherboard, you might try a dop or two if superglue between the connector body ant the motherboard when you reseat it. Make sure you don't get any on the solder pads and let it dry before resoldering. Note that as this would be very difficult to reverse (though not imossible) I'd recommend it only as a last resort.

As BrainEeater says, watch the heat. The more often the joints are resoldered the more likely the traces will start to lift.

BrainEater September 4, 2013 09:09 PM

I considered glue last time I fixed er.....It's a really poor connector .I'll be lucky to desolder it when HaDeS brings it by.

:thumb:

clshades September 4, 2013 09:26 PM

So I should consider getting a new motherboard for this lappy or walk away from it.

Gonzo September 26, 2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clshades (Post 727717)
Thanks but its the actual solder on the other motherboard that holds the connector and its basically unsupported.

Use Silver Solder. The lead based is too soft. Silver Solder is used when higher currents or temps are likely, or in high vibration components. ex toaster, kettle, so it is much stronger. I always use silver solder on the connection.

Also a bit of thick crazy glue bonding the connector to the board would help as well. Just keep it away from Soldering areas.

sswilson September 26, 2013 04:11 PM

I've got my daughter's ASUS set up to have the connector repaired for the first time, and it's going to get a Velcro treatment on the body + cable before it goes back to her to hopefully prevent a reoccurrence. :)

Soullessone21 September 26, 2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 731824)
I've got my daughter's ASUS set up to have the connector repaired for the first time, and it's going to get a Velcro treatment on the body + cable before it goes back to her to hopefully prevent a reoccurrence. :)

Hades got the mesh this weekend her laptop is my bitch... ill be nice ;)