Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   No hyperthreading for I5? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/62985-no-hyperthreading-i5.html)

Messerschmitt August 29, 2013 11:01 PM

No hyperthreading for I5?

My system specs are in the profile. Just assembled this rig today.

In BIOS, the Hyper-Threading Technology option is not there (manual says it is).

When opening Windows Task Manager, I only see the 4 cores in CPU Usage History. I know other people have 8 (which accounts for the 2 threads for each CPU)

What gives

moocow August 29, 2013 11:59 PM

What gives? Because the CPU you got doesn't have HT, simple as that.

ARK | Intel® Core? i5-4670K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

Dzzope August 30, 2013 01:51 AM

I5 is 4 core, i7 is 4 core with HT..

KaptCrunch August 30, 2013 03:47 AM

do you have current bios, and have live update app installed to bring up 1.3 bios is current for new cpu codes

Messerschmitt August 30, 2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moocow (Post 727029)
What gives? Because the CPU you got doesn't have HT, simple as that.

ARK | Intel® Core? i5-4670K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

Duh I feel stupid. I assumed that an I5 would have HT, considering it's an old intel feature that is present in CPU's several generations old

Bond007 August 30, 2013 09:03 AM

4 threads only on an i5. pentium are 2 core 2 thread, i3 are 2 core 4 thread, i5 4 core 4 thread, and i7 are 4 core 8 thread.

great_big_abyss August 30, 2013 11:01 AM

I hope you don't have buyer's remorse now because you didn't research the product properly before buying.

FYI, depending on where you bought it, and if you are willing to spend more money, you can return the i5 no questions asked and buy an i7. usually if you are within a week of purchase, or 30 days, or something like that. Memory Express has such a policy, for example.

ShinraCorp August 30, 2013 11:03 AM

Ya but let's be honest hyper-threading doesn't give out a huge performance boost anyway so you're fine with an i5. I still have my i5-750 and it's not slowing down :P

Shadowmeph August 30, 2013 02:22 PM

but I think that some programs work allot better and some require HT for some reason like Photoshop high end video editing hard core number crunching use ht. I think that hypervisor but for me to use my actual video card inside hyper visor and be able to install and use remotefx I need HT

Messerschmitt September 4, 2013 11:29 AM

I use my rig mostly for gaming. Therefore the CPU is not going to be my bottleneck. I5 coupled with 7950 is more than enough in terms of CPU power.

However, I do have buyer remorse for going Z87 rather than Z77 and go Ivi Bridge. My CPU is not even OC'ed, and it hit almost 90C on cores on Prime95 within the first 10 seconds. I am using the stock heatsink, and not sure if maybe I should apply my own thermal paste rather than the one coming with it. I looked at some aftermarket heatsinks, but I am afraid they might not fit (the MSI Z87 board has the ram really close to the CPU).

Crappy NCIX would charge me a 15% restocking fee if I would need to exchange the heatsink with another.

Also I wasn't planning to OC too much. A 4.2-4.4 max. I thought the stock heatsink would do the trick for such a mild OC. I'm coming from E6750, and with stock heatsink I got the clock to 3.2Ghz, and my temps were 75c in Prime95

Haswell is a disaster in terms of thermics