Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2013, 12:50 AM
Rookie

Default I have a external har disk problem

I have a 100GB hard disk which out of nowhere is not running. It was running today and tomorrow nothing. I have precious data there.How to fix it the green light turns on but there is no sign of life in the hard disk nosounds not shown in task manager nor disk management.
Old August 28, 2013, 02:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Could be a dead caddy if your lucky....

Pull it out and try it internally?

Never keep "precious" data on any single drive... For eg all my pictures are on my PC, my brothers my girls (which is actually mine too lol) and my friends and I have it on an external.
It's never a case of if hardware will fail but when it will fail..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old September 23, 2013, 11:09 PM
Rookie

sounds that your drives has a mechanical failure... you got lucky if you can accessed it via external enclosure....
Old October 13, 2013, 05:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I had a issue like this I ended up putting it internally and used recuvue to get back 2.56TB of data but what a mess in reorganizing it. Issue was putting one hdd in a new enclosure. Note to self never move a hdd from one enclosure to another.

Tried it with a better enclosure and upon booting up Windows detected a new 2.7TB drive I immediately moved it back to old enclosure no go all data vanished lol. Sorry if I hijacked thread.
Old October 13, 2013, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Could be a dead caddy if your lucky....

Pull it out and try it internally?

I agree
I would pull the hard drive out of the caddy ( or what ever it is called ) and plug it directly onto the motherboard to see if it is working